Crap... another Noob :p

compu_85

Well... amazing what great resources Google can turn up. I

A frend and I are lookin to change the trans fluid in the w body cars in our respective fleets. The how to linked here will be very helpful! The job looks nice and DIY friendly.

Overall the Grand Prix has been an excellent car... only problem thus far has been an intake manifold leak... which was replaced at the dealer. It's at 95,000 miles now... with a little preventivite maintance I bet it'll go another 95k.

-Jason

(PS: If you know anyone with a VW Diesel car... send them over to tdiclub.com . VW dealers are absolutely horrible... its much better to work on the car yourself...)

My friend's 97 Lumina has the 3100, my sis's 2k2 Grand Prix has the NA 3800. Hm, my profile got screwed up when I filled it in... but that's fixed now.

Hey, you guys know if old trans fluid can cause a buzzing over 4000 rpm? I'd taken it to the dealer, they said they couldnt recreate the sound... so we went for a test drive. Threw the sifter in 1 and took it to 5500 rpm. You should have seen the look on the tech's face... he looked like he thought the car was going to blow up! I put it back in D and did a kickdown accel, made the noize again, and he said it was the 'pump' in the transmission, and that it would go away when the trans service was preformed. But the look on his face was so priceless... I've gotten a lot of 'you're insane' looks in my life, but that one was by far the best!

-J

hmm, the 3800 has the LIM gaskets of doom too? or am i to tired and mis...mis...whats that damn word? anyways, was it the LIM im thinking of? (i bet shaun knows what im talking about :P)

The gasket failed at 80k IIRC. It wasnt too long ago.

Hey, on an engine that's suffered this, are there any dangers in flushing the cooling system after the gasket has been replaced. It looks like a lava rock under the radiator cap... I wanna try to get as much of that out as I can when I'm working on the car.

-J

I read in another thread its reccomeded to replace the PCV vlave after a while. Do they bust? Or is it just something you replace every so often? I'm new to gas engine maintance... on the TDI, you replace the PCV when it starts slobbering oil all over the valve cover, or if your lucky simply reseating it fixes things.

I assume these engines have EGR. There any problems with those? Mine does a nice job of coating the intake with oil. But at least i'm not like the people who putz around all day and never take the engine over 2000 rpm. Their EGRs end up looking like this:

egr.JPG

As you can guess, that cuts down on power just a tad.

-Jason

Welcome n00b to this great place of the internet.

FWIW that EGR is horrible, never seen anything that bad before! Carbon deposits, what carbon deposits?

The best part is VW denies its a problem! :bash: I generally keep on the go pedal, so mine wasn't that bad at 150,000 miles. But a cleaning still helped the top end a bit.

crappy diesel fuel = soot + Oily vapors from CCV and turbo = plugged intake and EGR. That one isnt even that bad. Someone took there car to a mechanic for 'low power'... he found the intake had reduced to the diamater of a dime! :shock:

-Jason

A good preventative maintenance on GM's is to clean the EGR out with throttle body/carb cleaner, and those little pipe cleaners every so often. It will clean out the carbon depoits.

BTW, welcome.

Hey guys, I am Compus friend and I am Glad that we found this place as well.

I have a 1997 Lumina 3100 with 100,000 miles on the original tranny fluid fill..

ya I know :bash: I plan to take care of it better now that its paid for...

apparently mine was a rental for its first 34k miles. I have had it since and it has served us well as a family hauler. ( I have two sons)

I also have a VW TDI Diesel. altho mine is a New beetle that i have custom painted to a more retro theme..

IM000635.jpg

anyways, I look forward to finding out more about the intricasies of these cars.

Im sure I will be asking about the AC system on my lumina this spring..

its good to be here.