Power window HELL

LukeZ34

:lol: I don't know if that'd dilute it enough for no one to notice. There are a lot of kids & pets in my neighborhood too... I don't have any clue how you're supposed to legitimately get rid of 6-gallons of coolant though.

I've always wondered about that too. Last time I did a coolant flush, I drained it in to buckets and then poured it around our trash cans in back. I was hoping it would kill the damn raccoons that kept tearing our trash bags up. :lol:

:lol: I don't know if that'd dilute it enough for no one to notice. There are a lot of kids & pets in my neighborhood too... I don't have any clue how you're supposed to legitimately get rid of 6-gallons of coolant though.

I've always wondered about that too. Last time I did a coolant flush, I drained it in to buckets and then poured it around our trash cans in back. I was hoping it would kill the damn raccoons that kept tearing our trash bags up. :lol:

Yeah, my neighbor did that with some moles we had.

But about the coolant disposal; I'm more than happy to dispose it the "right" way. But I can't find anywhere that will take it. I was even considering going to the local shop and leaving it out after hours. :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

i go across the street to the HS auto shop and dump my coolant & oil into their big barrels outside. usually on a Sunday when no one is around of course :P

thats because they are iron head probably.

the aluminum headed 3.1, 3.4 and 2.8 are the ones that dex cool kills. it eats the heads :bash:

These are aluminum headed engines. The older 2.8's in F-bodies and I think the van engines got iron heads, but don't quote me.

I don't think any W-body got iron heads, ever.

...t3h duke ?

3.8L

Dexcool has a higher acidic content than ethylene glycol.

It eats aluminum.

When you take off the intake manifold or heads, you will notice that they have been eaten away slightly and are pitted....that's Dexcool at work.

But.... it does last 5 years (or longer).

Everything has good and bad points. Ultimately you decide which is best for your application.

But....

Don't ever mix the two antifreezes.

Dexcool has a higher acidic content than ethylene glycol.

It eats aluminum.

When you take off the intake manifold or heads, you will notice that they have been eaten away slightly and are pitted....that's Dexcool at work.

When I pulled the manifold and heads off my 2.8L, it was eaten away and severely pitted. That was on green silicated coolant.

When you search Google, you'll find some studies find the silicated green coolants do more damage to aluminum because the silicates are abrasive.

I don't even think the good ol' green silicated coolants are factory fill on anything these days. Ford and Chrysler use G-05 coolants, many imports are using their own variation of HOAT and OAT coolants.

Wow, this thread went from hellacious power windows to the type of coolant you use.

Just another useful topic under the Search button. :roll:

Same thing I was thinking...

Yea, when I posted I wondered why I was talking about antifreeze instead of windows, but I had to put in my 2 cents. :lol:

Them was some crappy welds though. (What were they thinking on welding nylon lock nuts anyway??? :bash: )

I support riveting the mechanism back in place instead of bolts.

Back on the antifreeze thing:

I remember the cast iron heads and intake on my smallblock chevy V-8s being pitted. I have heard that the pitting is a direct result of not changing the antifreeze at regular intervals.

So honestly, I get the green. And I change it when its gone. :lol: