fiberglassin again, smaller project

rshissler

Well i dont wanna give up on tring to fiberglass something. This time i took on a rather smaller project. I had a pile of patical board left over from some house work so i deicided to make something out of it. Well i made 2 6x9 boxes for shits and giggles. Heres some pics

DSCF3245.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

Dont worry i took it back out and made a better ring for it. i used some speaker grill mesh type shyt for the cloth

fiberglassinpart25.jpg

fiberglassinpart22.jpg

fiberglassinpart22.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't have put the matting on the outside of the box, but the inside. That matting is hell to sand and shape, so the less you have to work with it, the better.

Otherwise, looks decent. Finish it up!

mating? i put that speaker grill stuff on first put some resin on that then laid 3 or 4 layers of fiberglass cloth on that. they should be finished in maybe a week, im kinda busy doin stuff lol

mating? i put that speaker grill stuff on first put some resin on that then laid 3 or 4 layers of fiberglass cloth on that. they should be finished in maybe a week, im kinda busy doin stuff lol

I call the cloth matting.

fiberglass cloth is more flexible than fiberglass mat. you can tell the difference whn you buy it just how flexible it feels through the package.

anyhow, nothing wrong with putting mat o the outside. but when you do it, you should let the resin set a little, then trim off the parts you don't want, like the speaker hole and what not.

3 or 4 layers of mat is way overboard for what you are making, but no big deal.

what you chould do next time:

1. cover project in fleece (or whatever cloth you are using), resin

2. cover project in 1 layer of mat (or two if you really want), resin

3. let resin set a bit on mat and fleece, then trim unwanted portions away

4. let resin dry

5. 2-3 more coats of resin, let dry.

6. sand resin so bondo has something to stick to

7. bondo, let dry

8. sand bondo

9. paint, carpet, whatever