Need pics of VFD/LCD DICs

AWeb80

The VFD ones are kind of colorful too if you enable the DIC part of it (grounding the right wire). Then a whole bunch of orange icons will show up.

Can you elaborate on that, what wires should be grounded and what would be the result, would they just come on at startup, or whatever?

Hmm.....that module pictured above does work all the warning lights on the VFD one. Me and one other member here, I think it was Bossman, have been having trouble with our lower brake lights not working, even though we have both replaced the turn signal switch. Bossman thinks the problem is the connections with that thing. From the wiring diagrams in the factory supplement, the brake signal does go through that thing. We just didnt know where it was located. When it warms up, I might take a look at it. Anyone ever heard of that before?

How hard is it to get to, Shaun?

there is a '90 STE at the j/y I go to....if it is still there the next time I go I can put that module for you Robby...

Well....its only the brake lights that dont work, everything else does. I think its just a bad connection. When I first got the car they'd work occasionally, then they got better during the summer, then completely dont work now. I might look at mine first, like clean the contacts, etc. I just wanna know where exactly this thing is. Ive had the dash pad off and have never seen it.

I think that it's located above the glovebox, back in the open cavity in that area

Yeah, thats what some else said. Ive never had that part of the dash apart off before, so Im just not 100% on how to get to it. Maybe I'll just start taking crap off and hope I get to it.

The other reason we think this is the cause, is because the brake signal originates from the brake switch on the pedal and the 3rd brake light gets its signal directly from this switch and it ALWAYS works. Just the two lowers dont work. (That was just to clarify why we suspect this)

The VFD ones are kind of colorful too if you enable the DIC part of it (grounding the right wire). Then a whole bunch of orange icons will show up.

Can you elaborate on that, what wires should be grounded and what would be the result, would they just come on at startup, or whatever?

I think you need to ground pin B2. That's what it shows in my schematic at any rate. They would just come on at startup, I think the only one that will work is the fuel tank icon. You can make the ABS icon work by connecting the ABS light to pin B3. All the other icons are controlled by the hidden DIC module so they won't work.

Yeah, thats what some else said. Ive never had that part of the dash apart off before, so Im just not 100% on how to get to it. Maybe I'll just start taking crap off and hope I get to it.

The other reason we think this is the cause, is because the brake signal originates from the brake switch on the pedal and the 3rd brake light gets its signal directly from this switch and it ALWAYS works. Just the two lowers dont work. (That was just to clarify why we suspect this)

It's above the glovebox. Take the compartment out and you'll be able to see it hanging upside-down. It has a silver heatsink on it, looks like al ittle amp.

It's possible the module could cause that problem, but the turn signal switch can also cause that problem. Try jiggling it and see if there's any change. The GP brake lights are wired through the turn signal switch even though there's no reason for it.

any idea where is the speaker located and how hard it is to get to?

Nah, it's been too long since I've had mine apart. I don't remember it being that difficult though. I think it'll look like a little black plastic cylinder or disc with a little hole in the end of it. I usually take internal pics of everything I take apart, but for reason I didn't take any of it.

Ive tried the jiggling thing with the lever and even tried wiggling the connections when I had it apart to replace the turn signal switch.

Plus, the DIC knows the brake lights are out, since after the first time I hit brake after starting it up, the lights light up telling me they are out. The only other (besides the turn signal swtich) inline thing b/n the brake switch and actual lights is that box thing. I'll mess with it when its warm.

Nah, it's been too long since I've had mine apart. I don't remember it being that difficult though. I think it'll look like a little black plastic cylinder or disc with a little hole in the end of it. I usually take internal pics of everything I take apart, but for reason I didn't take any of it.

not a huge deal, i am sure if I open it up I will be able to find it...