88-90 DIC won't work.....suggestions on how to fix it?

AWeb80

I tried powering it on by touching the black wire to neg. and orange and pink/black to pos. on a battery....but it won't turn on.

Any ideas of what to look for when I take it apart and see why it won't turn on?

I don't know if anyone has actually taken these apart before.....but help would be appreciated.

Here is what it looks like.

It's common for the backlight in these units to go out. If that's the case, you're better off junking it.

That sucks....It doesn't even beep like i've been told it should when they turn on....

I just wondered about the power up procedure because Slick couldn't get his to work either using that procedure...so I just wondered if the method they are using is correct...

I didn't post because I figured that Chris and Adam have the wrong directions on how to power it up.

That style is not supposed to beep. The VFD ones with smaller buttons do beep, not sure if they do it on powerup though.

You'll be able to tell if it's just the backlight. Look at it in sunlight and you can see it working if it's just the backlight. I don't think the backlight would be all that difficult to replace, you can get replacement CFL's from electronic supply places.

Most likely you probably just missed a wire. I can't look it up since I don't have wiring diagrams at work.