Adding a power trunk release

3pt1lumina

Since it looks like I'll be getting my 97 Lumina in a few weeks (if everything works out okay) I'd like to add the power trunk option to the car.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this correct? I think all you need is the panel with the button in it and maybe the solenoid that goes in the trunk?

I'm pretty sure the car is wired for power trunk as there is a pigtail under the dash that goes to about the area where the trunk release would be.

So any info you guys have or can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated!!! Basically, what parts do I need and is this even possible?

TIA :D

very easy!!!!

find the appropriate selonoid, with the bolts that hold it.

get the switch(small round one IIRC). no need for a panel, unless you can't drill a hole...

there will be a wire inside the hollow deck end of the trunk... you may have to fish... its a single connector and is usually blackwire and connector, although sometimes i have seens a translucent white connector.

pop the panel out that the switch is supposed to be in... you will see a mark/indentation where the switch is supposed to be. drill it out with an undersize drill... and file the opening until the switch fits just right.

I think the 95+ lumina switch is round, make sure you got the round one, those are easier to install :D the switch is the smae as 95+regals and CS got, btw.

Yes it is a round button. Where does the solenoid sit in the trunk or under the dash?

If someone has a 95-99 Monte or 95-01 with power trunk, can you post pics of where the solenoid is?

thanks!

Yeah I have one with a trunk release, but my '92 dosn't and I hate not having it. I neither have the wire under the dash or in the trunk, I would have to run wires if i wanted it, but that's not too hard to do at all. I just need the solinoid

In gen1, the solinoid sits in the trunk lid.

Solenoid is on the trunk lid in ALL gens. Really cant put it anywhere else. :lol:

I just put one in my gramp's 95. Very easy thing to do, but on that car ( 95 CS ), I could find any sort of pre-wiring at all, so I had to run new ones. I also added a remote trunk release on/off switch while I was doing it, just for the hell of it and because I had an extra one.

In gen1, the solinoid sits in the trunk lid.

Solenoid is on the trunk lid in ALL gens. Really cant put it anywhere else. :lol:

I just put one in my gramp's 95. Very easy thing to do, but on that car ( 95 CS ), I could find any sort of pre-wiring at all, so I had to run new ones. I also added a remote trunk release on/off switch while I was doing it, just for the hell of it and because I had an extra one.

I was going to do the same thing. I don't think that my cutty is pre-wired, but I haven't pulled up the carpet or anything to really check that out. Do you have a wiring diagram for what to look for to hook it up?

Dont have a diagram handy, but it's basically just a matter of running a hot wire to position A on the switch, and running a wire from position B to the trunk release solenoid.

If you cant find the wire in the trunk, or underneath that little kick panel thing where the switch mounts on '88-'94s, you'll have to run wires.

FWIW, the factory remote trunk release circuit runs through the Park/Neutral safety switch. This allows the "button" to function only in Park or Neutral, so you don't inadvertently pop the trunk when you're cruising down the highway. Would I wire a non-stock release up like that? Probably not if the button was mounted in the glove box, but you might want to think about wiring it through the P/N switch if you're going to mount it to the driver's side under-dash panel...

FWIW, the factory remote trunk release circuit runs through the Park/Neutral safety switch. This allows the "button" to function only in Park or Neutral, so you don't inadvertently pop the trunk when you're cruising down the highway. Would I wire a non-stock release up like that? Probably not if the button was mounted in the glove box, but you might want to think about wiring it through the P/N switch if you're going to mount it to the driver's side under-dash panel...

Kevin,

By any chance do you have any pics of this? TIA.

I never wired the Cutlass's up to the tranny position switch.. it would've been too much of a pain. I never had any problems with accidently bumping, at least not while the car was in motion. your legs simply don't go near the area where the button is.

All 95-01 Luminas and 95-99 Monte Carlos are prewired for the power trunk.

Here is a picture of the plug for the button in my '95 Lumina (keep in mind my '95 had NO options):

normal_100_5518.JPG

normal_100_5524.JPG

I would have taken a picture of my '97 under the dash, but I didn't feel like pulling the dash panel out, but it looks exactly like that but it is connected to the button ;)

Here is a picture of the solenoid on the trunk latch on my '97 Those two bolts hold it on.

normal_100_7647.JPG

normal_100_7651.JPG

normal_100_7652.JPG

Both wires are black, one has a white stripe.

Here is a picture of the trunk harness tucked inside the trunklid on my '95 where the reverse lights go. I was going to pull it out but it's all taped up. You can see it pretty plain and clear though.

normal_100_7654.JPG