1992 Lumina Z34 runs 15.12@90.18 stock

90TGP

and your motor has to be BRAND new......

I wouldn't say brand new, I'd say very soon after it's broken in it would be it's quickest. A BRAND new motor would be too tight to be it's fastest.

They prolly had like professional drag racers do it, so they had a good idea to begin with. So prolly only a couple times to get used to the clutch points and shifter.--Would be my guess

They prolly had like professional drag racers do it, so they had a good idea to begin with. So prolly only a couple times to get used to the clutch points and shifter.--Would be my guess

Still, they are half a second faster than us! That is skill!

Must have been at a good track....

If that was all from the same article, I wonder why the hell they would have a 121mph trapping "nitrous assisted" Corvette ZR-1 listed with those other stock cars. :lol:

As far as the engine being "new or old," these motors seem to make damn near the same exact power at 1500 miles or at 200,000 miles if everything is in good shape(ignition, sensors, etc.).

fuck the GP SE...it states the Z34 runs 15.12...sweetness!!!

They should have let that "Jim Ingle" guy drive the GP SE if the stated weight actually was nearly 200lbs lighter than the Z34....it might have went 14's.

The mph is also an indicator that its making good power.90 mph or so is usually in the 14's Ive seen on various cars,13's in others.Weight and traction play alot,but aside from that its very impressive.

The MPH depends on the powerband. With a pushrod car that kind of MPH would likely put the car in the 14's because it would have power in the lower rpms as well. But a DOHC car with that MPH makes sense why it is in the low 15's. From my experience I agree that it does take ~90mph to break into the 14's. My 14.96 pass was at almost 92, but my 15.06 pass (completely different setup) was only 89mph. So ~90mph would do it depending on powerband and traction.

Shawn

MPH also depends on rolling resistance, like the weight of the wheels, and size of the tires.

For instance, my TGP ran a best of 90mph in the 1/4 with the stock cross-laces and 245/50/16 tires. The TGP ran a best of 93mph in the 1/4 with lighter wheels and 235/45/17 tires.

That is just because unsprung weight and rotating mass will make a huge weight difference. Since weight obviously affects 1/4 mile time and trap speed, that is why there is a difference. Theoretically, your car should've ran significantly quicker with the lighter wheels than it did with the crosslaces. Conditions and traction may have prevented it from doing so.