Taking Apart Cutlass Gauge (not 56k safe)

ns87

Tap the tanish orange wire at the ALDL for the tach. No need to run a wire from the ICM at all.

Uh i tried that it didn't work at all i'll try it again to be 100% but i'm pretty sure that won't work at all...... :confused:

Ok, for my car the tach you need to run from a white wire in the engine compartment (near where I installed the correct Foward Electrical Relay which has horns and fog lights). Just want to show some pictures from rolling the mileage.

Sorry its so bright. My camera will only take decent pictures with the flash always on

bb6ecbba.jpg

Undid the 6 solder points for the motor

drawing002.jpg

Thats the motor

drawing001.jpg

Went from 159k to 120k. Junkyard odometer as I broke the original one

I rolled the 92-94 CS cluster so easily, it was not funny. it is even easier the the luminas to rotate, although the method you describe would be fine as well.

Basically, I carefully pop out the shaft that the numbers ride on out of the odometer assembly. I hold it with a tissue and remove the 'ladder' off the back and carefully rotate the left 3 digits starting at the 1000, then 10,000, then 100,000 to read what i want them to say, minus 1000. then I reatttach the ladder to the back and rotate the remaining digits through the 1000 masrk to ensure everything is proper, clean off the white .1 digit and reinstall.

(I always correct an odometer to read what the car really has, so no roll backs please!!!)

• 1 month later...

I give up. This cluster is supposed to use the EXACT same wiring as my base non-UB3 digital cluster. The volt gauge still doesn't work. I pulled the wiring from a car that has this Newer cluster and the wiring harness is identical to the one in my car. I dont get why the volt gauge doesn't work and I have no way to see if its just a broken cluster as there are none left in my JY. Any ideas??

Hook your power and grounds directly to a source.. See if the volt gauge is bad.. If it works, then see if your wiring is bad..

..But I'd bet money the volt gauge is bad because the thing is supposed to work when connected.. Good luck buddy :cool:

• 10 months later...