HELP!!!

90moddedtgp

I was driveing to work yesterday when my idle went up to about 2200 rpm. So whne I got to work I looked the car over and found a crack in the throttle body. I am trying to locate one and having a hard time doing so. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appericate it. Thanks in advance.

grab a TB off any 2.8/3.1 MPFI at a junkyard. If the TB only has 3 vacuum ports, just swap the top IAC plate from the old one to the new. You need a Torx bit to remove them, I can't remember what size.

I've got one off a 2.8 MPFI that has the 4 vac ports, and has the right EGR. The TPS is good but the IAC motor may be bad, I'm not sure. I have no use for it, so if you want it, let me know.

Mitch

grab a TB off any 2.8/3.1 MPFI at a junkyard. If the TB only has 3 vacuum ports, just swap the top IAC plate from the old one to the new. You need a Torx bit to remove them, I can't remember what size.

the ones with 3 vac ports only have 3 and the 4th is a dead hole UNDER that plate and would have to be drilled out with a super small bit.

its a small hole that is just on the inside of the TB plate thats almost flush with it.

you could put the plate on with 4 ports but still no Vac for the EGR

fine, fine.... :oops:

the ones with 3 vac ports only have 3 and the 4th is a dead hole UNDER that plate and would have to be drilled out with a super small bit.

its a small hole that is just on the inside of the TB plate thats almost flush with it.

you could put the plate on with 4 ports but still no Vac for the EGR

fine, fine.... :oops:

Well, I learned on this one too 8) didn't hurt too much :lol:

Jeff M

just stating the facts.....

:?

It is a surprise for me/others when all seems figured out, then someone notes a little thing like the 4th passage not actually being open :shock: that can make you go; "well, fine" :roll: :lol: "I thought it would work, never noticed that stupid part being blocked"

I have been wondering about a part at the TB and the few times only :cry: that the topic/talks lead towards there being others with the same size IAC/TB Topper that just might show there are other cars with that priceless plastic cover part over it :shock: :D I would love to find and stock those for people 8) I just sold 2 used EGR tubes (my last ones) and felt good to help others out by having these somewhat rare items, specially when I charged $30 for these that are in perfect condition and with the ones GM sells now having a $250 retail :evil: Back when I bought some new TGP Emblems off of ebay (before anyone even caught them, Buy-it-Now :twisted: ) and found the seller was the project manager at ASC and knew so much I was just dieing to talk with him, and he was super nice to allow me to talk with him 3 times at 2 hours a session :oops: but he has a car passion like us so we shared a lot of talks :D . But anyways, he told me of the guy that made these Plastic TB Vacuum Hose Clips :D after much chasing down a phone number, finally getting to talk to the owner who was the only one who knew what I was talking about with these, said he tossed out the mold :cry: :cry: . I was pissing it happened for the obvious but also since I cannot imagine that little thing taking up enough space to need throwing away to clean up an area :shrug: . I asked him what it would cost to do it again, over $1,000 :roll: and decided I would be making yet another “not-profit organization†type item for owners, like the Posters :roll: and others. So I passed on it and keep an eye out for these when a TGP is parted out, or if I find one in a salvage yard.

I wonder how the hell a TB body cracked, not impossible and I can guess a bad casting or.....but wow!!! 90moddedtgp, some tips when you get to this, careful the little clasps that hold on the throttle etc cables to the TB, they can go flying "bye-bye", pay close attention to my words :wink:. Also the lower coolant hoses will be a bugger, some owners have just taken out the torx screws that hold the metal coolant housing under the TB off then dick with the hoses after the TB is out of the way. I have used channel-locks to move the hose clamps up the hose enough to get off the area they clamp onto the metal of the coolant housing, then twist the rubber to loosen it before I even try to get the hose to come off!!! You can use the one 90 degree hose there and turn it to go onto the other hose so that you just bypass the hot water going into the bottom of the TB, not a huge hp gain but every little bit adds up, and it makes working on the TB WAY EASIER now and if needed to later :cool: Careful lifting up on the electrical connector tabs, age and heat and they snap off/break easy :!: . The trick to get the intake pipe hose to TB back on is to get all the oil off of all of these pieces, that is key, then get the hose clamped to the intake pipe first, without the oil everywhere the things will stay in place much better and will not try to slide off. Use a flat blade screw driver to reach down from the top when you are trying to join the intake hose to the TB, use the screwdriver to guide the hose around underneath the TB opening, then once the hose is happy and will then slip on easy :) . Use the 13mm bolt at the thermostat hosing to hold the intake pipe up snug to the TB, use this to hold things there and not the poor clamps at the TB as its too much to ask of them, they can only do good at keeping the hoses tight :lol: . Once the intake pipe is bolted down, then align the other hose clamp at the TB opening and screw both down snug, not super tight since they can be stripped as any worm gear can with too much muscle!

Good luck!!

Jeff M

I did drill it out and used my 1992 CS TB in the place of the 1990 TGP TB and it works fine but like i said that little hole is flush with the inside plate and measure twice drill once.

i used the 1992 TB because the plate on the 1990 was almost falling off... :shock:

Good tips, thanks!! One of the few hundred projects I have going on, is looking for a larger TB to match the air flow of the next build that I will do some day, at least some of the fun is the research for it :lol: Since the one company that made a billet one/the only upgrade I knew of is no longer, I am looking at anything else that will work clean, and I mean clean, I don't want the extra work to have the cables reaching around to the other side, I am not lazy, I just have enough challenges that are more beneficial to complete then adding this one :wink:. BBK has some that might work custom, just wish good stuff like this was at a shop where I could get my grubby hands on it to compare....hey!!!...and thanks Davis :D , you just made me realize this, if I can just see at the web site what BBK has that looks to be close to ours, then find the car they sell it for in a salvage yard, I can get my hands on it. That was an easy help for you eh? :lol: thanks!

Jeff M

I appericate all of your guys help. and on the crack i have no clue what happened. my idle went up so I replace the iac valve. When that did not work I put the smoke tester on the vacum line. it started coming out of the tb. and there is a big chunk out of the tb where the tps sensor goes into it. I have no idea what happened I have never seen any thing like this happen. When I get it off the car I will post up some pictures of it.

... that just might show there are other cars with that priceless plastic cover part over it...

The clips that I have been looking for in the junk yards are the three line ones.... I was just going to take a dremel tool and notch out the 4th hole. I gave up on finding the 4 line clips and I have almost given up on the three line ones... BUT-if any one needs used zip ties and old silicone sealant to hold theirs on, I have come across plenty of that... :lol:

Hey JeffM.... once you have the TB off, you can change the distributor o-ring from there too... I know, I had to. I didn't change it when I did the x-over pipe (I KNOW-IT WAS IN YOUR INSTRUCTIONS) and I had to come back and change it and I went thru the top to do it. It wasn't that hard to do once everything was out of the way.

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you :D Most people don't care, I am one of the few nuts that look to get shit all the time so when one of us is down, I can help them get back up, though all the breaks (mental maintenance for me!) I take posting on here and not doing the long ass list of emails and PMs I have, I should shut up now :oops: But I did get those 2 guys hooked up with EGRs, some others fixed up through emails and PMs, late B-Day present shipped to a relative, 5 hour 37 minute over-due cel phone talk with a guy on 700R4 trannies (new record on the phone eh Kenny? :lol: ), bills paid, house cleaned, laundry done, dishes clean, house cleaned (going on a vacation with the women in 2 days) making progress today, I won't what I did yesterday :lol: . But really, thanks for the reply, good to know more about these clips, but need to ask more:

What years/engines did the 3 hole come on (best guess)?

I assume there was a 3 hole clip?

Does it fit the 4 hole top of our TB?

Maybe there were 4 hole tops other than the TGP, if so probably discontinued with ours :cry:

If so there is one then will do some looking at and through the dealer!!!

And good call on doing the leak prone W-Ring :lol: O-Ring while the TB is off, will add that to the copy I made of that post (to cut and paste to othes that email me :wink: )

Thanks again :D

Jeff M