The new Kings of W-bodys..

THe_DeTAiL3R

choose your W  

3 members have voted

1. 1. choose your W

Here's the choices, with the highest optioned engine available...

Assuming they are all priced similar according to the amount of options available.

Grand Prix GXP / Impala SS / Monte Carlo SS

5.3L Small Block pushrod V8

303 hp and 323 lb-ft of torque (GP GXP)

sm_image2_lrg.jpg

20022707-E.jpg

20027724-E.jpg

Buick Lucerne CXL

4.6L DOHC V8 Northstar Engine

275 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque

20023287-E.jpg

Buick LaCrosse CSX/Allure

3.6-liter VVT DOHC V6

240 hp and 225 lb-ft of torque.

20025926-E.jpg

Lacrosse here. Basically for a few reasons:

Can't beat the luxury

Can't beat the ride over the GP/Impala/Monte

Can't beat the quality of build Buick has

And the styling of the Impala/Monte is easily beatable by any of the others mentioned.

Impala SS for me. Love the new style, love the new engine even more.

On the same token, the Lucerne is a total let down. I mean c'mon: A Northstar V8 that can only manage 275hp?? My Infiniti pushes 265 with a 3.5L V6! Why bother with a V8 if they're not going to attach any balls to it?

Looks like a metallic hamster on steroids. IMO, that's the problem with most of Pontiac's cars over the last 5-7 years. Way too much body cladding and other useless add-ons. On the other hand, when they try to tone it down on the GTO, they tone it down too much anyway...

Looks like a metallic hamster on steroids. IMO, that's the problem with most of Pontiac's cars over the last 5-7 years. Way too much body cladding and other useless add-ons. On the other hand, when they try to tone it down on the GTO, they tone it down too much anyway...

So true. Pontiac will never get it right.

I mean the extra skiritng on the front/rear bumpers, the flared wheel wells, the overly wide tires, and the extra crease lines in the hood.

I guess, but if you want a plain, bland w-body sedan, you'd get an Impala. Jesus, does that car just LOOK lethargic? So plain looking, especially for an SS model.

I think it is very much like the mid 90s Impala SS in that it looks plain jane. In other words, it's a sleeper. Granted, the new Impala blends in more than the older one did, but at least you have a chance of catching people off guard. On the other hand, racers will see the GP coming from a mile away.

The Lucerne isn't a W.

Crap, I wasn't sure about that one. What body designation is it? I thought it was a W cause it looks so much like an Impala inside...

Anyways, I chose the GXP. I don't like all the "bling" of the GXP compared to a loaded GT, but I still LOVE the 2004+ GP styling. I guess the Impala might be 2nd on my list. I haven't seen any new MCs since we aren't a Chevy dealership, but I assume they are much like an Impala just w/ 2 doors.

I've gotten extremely bored of looking at LaCrosses at work, they just don't do anything for me. Those 3.6s are a nice engine though.

I don't like the Lucerne at all, I think it's a Cadillac wannabe, FWIW.

Just because I have too, GXP.....

But, really none, who the hell puts a 303 HP FWD combination together :roll: Oh oh, do they finally have a 5/6spd option for these cars yet? Or they still an automatic only?

Get some balls GM and put a real drive train in one of these cars, come one. How pathetic can you get. Makes ya wonder if they want to go bankrupt :roll:

But, really none, who the hell puts a 303 HP FWD combination together :roll:

Get some balls GM and put a real drive train in one of these cars, come one. How pathetic can you get. Makes ya wonder if they want to go bankrupt :roll:

That's a good point. They know people would rather have a RWD transmission for these cars, why not offer it to the public. I'm sure they have they're reasons. My first guess is, the W-Body chassis isn't designed to have RWD.

But, really none, who the hell puts a 303 HP FWD combination together :roll:

That's a good point. They know people would rather have a RWD transmission for these cars, why not offer it to the public. I'm sure they have they're reasons. My first guess is, the W-Body chassis isn't designed to have RWD.

That why they need to grow more balls and just continue and bring back the Zeta chassis platform like they were planning on doing until they scraped it. Maybe they need to take a few things from the Holden division, since they seem to have their heads out