kfahn

Dump my 95 GP SE w/52000 miles for the TGP?  

1. 1. Dump my 95 GP SE w/52000 miles for the TGP?

• Yep, damn straight
    • No, don't let the underpowered nature phase you.

I found a TGP in Allentown, PA, near me, and was wondering how much i should offer for it. It has all options and about 80000 miles. The leather seats are starting to crack a little bit and the upholstery under the back window is ripping fairly badly, easy fix. It has the 8" wide gold lace wheels, dual exhaust, trip computer, HUD, cruise control, and probably more that i did not see. I would love to know what to look for to see if the engine is in good condition, and what to offer. Thanks

granted, my cutty has less mileage then that TGP but i would give it up in a heartbeat. TGPs are rare, plus they're turbos! there's so much potential in those cars. I don't know about you but I'd take it! I wouldn't know what to look for however

Very true OldsmoBeast, but Kfahn, don't get into a situtation that you can't get out of. I was about to purchace a STE for dirt cheap and I "thought" I wanted it really bad untill reality hit and saw the car would needed an extreme overhaul of replacing minor / major automotive systems and parts.

Bottom line: Yes, TGP it could be great addition to the stable, but also remember what comes along with a new W-Body or any used car... it's another can of worms that you've opened up. Do your homework, ask a ton of questions and make the right choice for you.

- RedFox340

I see that the TGP is in Allentown, and I live in Tatamy(near Nazareth). I'm in the process of getting another black '89 TGP, and I can tell you everything to look for. If you want I can go and look at it with you as well as I really know TGPs. My cell# is 610-597-8400 and give me a call if you want my help. I'd love to talk to another W-body enthusiast in person so it would be cool.

-Josh R.

I purchased a TGP a month ago off of ebay for $700. It was sold as a parts car but there was no way I was gonna part the poor thing out. It needs a lot of work, and it only took around $200 to get it running strong. Best $900 I ever spent..that car is so much fun to drive..and I will enjoy spending the next 2 years rebuilding it. Thank god I have two other cars to drive during that time! Go with the TGP! :D

I personally would much rather have the TGP, but reliability is one thing to consider. A TGP can be MADE to be reliable, but chances are, it's going to be problematic right off the bat. The crossover pipe will be cracked (if made by GM), the turbo blanket probably missing, injectors leaky, PowerMaster III will have problems, etc. The turbo creates lots of heat, so if the blanket is missing, you can expect to maybe have to replace the fuel lines nearby, the Fuel Pressure Regulator, etc. PM III ABS is probably among the most costly, and GM seems to have just recently doubled the prices on the parts for it. It all adds up, especially if you don't do your own work.

If your 95 GP is a reliable daily driver that you need to depend on, you might think twice about this. On the other hand, if you can pick this TGP up real cheap and it's in generally good shape, then sell the 95 and take the difference to fix up the TGP.

just hit a wall in my planning to buy this, turns out it has a little over 110,000 miles instead of 80000, not liking that. That means this guy may not be telling me something else about the car that i might want to know.