Squeaky steering

kiwi133

So recently when my car gets warm, my steering will make a faint but noticable squeak. It's like a long squeak that changes pitch with the speed I move the wheel, and happens whenever I turn the wheel (come to think of it, it sounds like a muffled squegi on a window). Also sometimes i seem to feel some "grit" to the movement.

Steering is still tight and responsive.

I hope my rack is not going!

If anything I want that damn naging squeaking to stop!

What do you think?

check your fluid level, my P/S goes through fluid like salts through a widow women. And when I can hear it drawing fluid when cornering I know its time to fill her up

Robby

Only been able to hear it inside, then again I havn't really tried to hear it outside, and don't know if it would be loud enough to hear over the engine outside.

I'll see if I can hear it outside tomorrow though.

If it sounds like it's coming from the steering column, you can remove the steering wheel and lube the visible bearings at the shaft, or worst case, you'll need to lube the intermediate shaft, which is the link between the steering column and the steering rack. It's accessible after removing the drivers wheel and lifting off the white rubber cover. A pain at first but you can get to it.

My Lumina has this squeak too...very faint, high pitched. The GF tells me it freaks her out....like she's hearing voices. :shock:

::Twilight Zone music plays here.....::

lol, my girlfriend hates it too, says it sounds like my car is crying. :cry: lol

I couldn't hear it outside the car, so thats what I was thinking too, something in the steering colomn. What kind of lube? grease like lube, or silicone spray? I could just aim and shoot down the column with the silicon spray and hope it gets the squeaky part lol

Don't spray down any of the "cracks" in the steering column, no lube will hit the shaft. It's necessary to take off the steering wheel, but first see if you can pinpoint where the squeak is coming from, be it the upper or lower part. For grease, I'd try wd-40 just for the simplicity, don't use silicone spray.