lazytik

long post guys...read it only if you dont want to be annoyed..

I love my Grand Prix...it is pretty sound engine wise (rebuilt..but it guzzles a quart of oil every 2 weeks...no leaks)

But it has so many problems...the passenger side mirror and window are messed up (easily fixable...just dont have time), dents, dings etc (understandable for a 12 year old car)

But the major problems are there too...VATS leaving me stranded for many minutes while it realizes that im not stealing the car (read the write-up..but dont have time or tools to actually do it), sagging rear suspension, leaks in exhausts, clicking noise everytime i turn (cv joints or dry racks and pinion or something)...i have to go to my mechanic on monday and see whats up.

i'm too broke to actually fix these costly things...but i like this car so much; not only because its my first car, but because i believe in respecting anything you own (as in..not calling it a shi y beater). it kinda annoys me when my friends compare it to kias and hyundais when its so much more.

i wish i had the funds to resurrect this car to its 94 showroom condition, or even mod it to make it better...but i dont. right now, im not selling it because i would need money to buy another car before i let this one go. but when i do sell it, i will miss it.

people get free cars from their parents...they may be new and trouble free, but i like this car much more than one of those "donated" ones. only thing is, if i cant afford to keep fixing it..i may have to let it go...

sorry for the long post..just needed to vent i guess.

I'd probably let it go if I were you, those will all add up. Plus, it's obviously burning oil, which is not good. All of those fixes will not be cheap at all. I have noticed W-body parts are not cheap. I'd say try to sell it and get as much for it as you can. Or, since you are low on funds, just deal with the car the way it is, until you can afford to fix it.

lol. thats what im doing. dealing with it...so the suspension makes noise. oh well. so the steering sounds like its gonna break...it happens. but yea...sorry if its in the wrong section..just venting. it is w-body related though.

Where do you live so I can rebuild your car correctly :lol:

at least the vats and CVs, that is.

are you sure you aren't weeping oil from the distrubutor/Oil drive gasket? It never dribbled on the ground on mine, it undercoated the body, instead!!! :lol:

Where do you live so I can rebuild your car correctly :lol:

at least the vats and CVs, that is.

are you sure you aren't weeping oil from the distrubutor/Oil drive gasket? It never dribbled on the ground on mine, it undercoated the body, instead!!! :lol:

:lol:

My mechanic doesnt charge me for labor (family friend) so its a little cheaper for me, but still adds up. how much do you think i can get for this car? im thinking $800-$1000, after fixing some things ofcourse.

Sounds to me like it's a bunch of little shit that's wrong with your car. Damn, a spend a good weekend pulling parts at a few boneyards and another weekend or 2 installing them and you should be good to go. Pick up a Haynes or Chiltons to help you out if need be (or a factory service manual if you have the extra scratch.) It shouldn't be that hard to get 'er back in shape.

Parts for these cars aren't expensive at all, you just gotta know where to look. The boneyards are practically littered with W's, and you should have no problem finding the parts you need, cheap...

:werd:

If these *little* problems are putting you down, what do you expect? They are old cars and therefore will need some repairs and general maintenance.

Unless you wanna spend a couple hundred bucks a month for payments on a new car, there really isn't much to complain about.

I had an 88 GP with faded paint and a slow ass 2.8, so I know what it's like when people have BETTER cars. Tell your friends to fuck off or get their own ride...

i know the feeling, my lumina is finally starting to get better, now that i got a decent job its finally getting the things i've just delt with for too long, struts, tierods/ends, completely redone rear brakes, new leaf spring, the list goes on.

i know what its like to have frineds have a newer car that was just given to them... well i paid for this one myself, so piss off.

Yea...kinda sucks, but can't beat the value I got...sorta lol. I have power stuff, torquey engine, monsoon cd player etc for $1800 (including repairs)..new base kias dont have that.

I'll give you $5 for it if you deliver! j/k..

seriously.... I can give you the info necessary to bypass the vats since it;s acting up. ohmeter your key's resistor and I can research what resistors should work to construct a bypass.

Thanks for your help guys.

Hey..fine...you can have the car for $5. I'll just take $995 for the keys and tires and engine.

If you agree...she's all yours lol

VATS hasn't acted up in about a week. From what I read, the procedure looks so complicated, expensive, and time consuming...time and money I do not have heh

story time:

I have friends (who are idiots) who do nothing but make fun of my Supreme. In the 2 years I've owned it, lets compare our cars

Friend

'89 Ford Probe (blew up transmission at 130k)

'93 Lumina (totaled it by smashing into a rock wall 135k)

'2000 Focus 5 speed(totaled it by rearending someone 30k?)

'93 Cadilac Deville (sold it 169k)

95 Ford Contour 5 speed (blew up transmission 110k)

93 Probe GT? 5 speed (soon to die)

Cousin

'96 Pontiac Sunfire 5 speed (totaled it three days after owning it 96k)

'95 Cavalier (destroyed it. sold it for $100 110k)

'99 Jetta (ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED IT. this thing looks like a 15 year old hyundai. trying to sell it...115k)

Me:

90 Cutlass Supreme 120k, still doing alrite. I'll admit, its somewhat of a piece, but not terrible. So what I'm saying is, its very easy to get fed up with our cars, but like you said in the begining

i believe in respecting anything you own
. Take care of the problems in small steps. Too much at once will just make you hate your car more.

i believe in respecting anything you own
. Take care of the problems in small steps. Too much at once will just make you hate your car more.

agreed. If you want us to help you simply ask and we'll assist you in fixing whatever you want fixed.

Compared to the big bucks I was spending on insurance and payments for my old car, I'd take a 2500 buck beater with a few things wrong with it any day. That way, I can have things fixed the way I want...good brake pads, performance mods...etc...

We just got new Hyundais at my office and I think my car has a superior ride and will last a lot longer. You just have to be patient if the money's tight.

True. I always search or ask people here for help when I need it. Today, my car went like a stallion. This makes it harder for me to not like it. I see this car outside and I think it is so sexy, especially the lowered (sagging..read thread in suspensions) rear end.

I don't like to beat on it, but what with the leaking mufflers, it sounds like a V8 and leaves me no choice but to push it :twisted: ..k, it doesn't make me push it...but gotta have fun too sometimes.

Most of my friends have their cars given to them...05 Corolla S (wow... :rolleyes: ), 99 Maxima SE Loaded (I almost bought a 98 SE, but then I realized I do not have the cash) which is pretty nice, but that dumbass likes 95 Honda Accords so he treats his top of the line Maxima as crap..

Yea..I borrowed money from my mom to pay for this car, but I am paying it back...and I have helped out (insurance payments...bills sometimes) enough to cover the debt...not that I keep track of money with family.

Point is...my car is paid off, has cheap insurance (Geico FOR THE WIN), and has reasonably priced parts.

I still want a z32, BMW 3 series (early to mid 90's), Older Benz, Camaro v8 (you know, the old 198x or early 1990s ones), Firebird counterpart, etc etc etc...

But till then, I am still debating this car...and I guess I will keep it till I actually have money for those other, more expensive cars. Sometimes I think to myself that I shouldn't spend my money and invest it to build a future...then I think that I am 18 and have pretty much one life. I might as well enjoy most of it...cuz if I die tomorrow, sure I won't have to go through 7.5 more years of college...but I would have died living small.

We will see. Sry about the long post :D