Drivers side door on my new Vert' slightly sags. Normal?

99vetteman

I know on my old 95 I had this was not a problem, but there was also ALOT less km's. Is it normal over time for the heavy doors on coupes to slightly sag? If so, either way, is it something that any body shop can repair?

Thanks alot,

Jason

BTW.. I picked her up today, it needs intake gaskets, shitty idle, and the timing belt is going on borrowed time. I poped the inspection cover and there is ALOT of black powder/debris under there!

Yes it is fairly normal...the hinges are weak. You can fix it at home if you like. Grab the obttom of the door and pull it up as hard as you can until the door closes properly again. If you take it to a body shop, chances are they will put a 2x4 on the bottom of the door and do the same thing. My Lumina had sagging doors when I got it so I did the above procedure and the doors have closed fine ever since.

Yeah if you can move it up and down then it's time for new hinges. I had majorly worn out hinges on my 88 GP, it had 280,000km on it. My 95 the doors feel like new with 234,000km.

it can happen to 4 door models as well. What I have done to correct the probelm, is remove the inner wheel well, and loosen the hinge to body bolts, one set at a time, and raise the door with the door open slightly utilizing a padded jack. tighten, test, and repeat until it works right.

I changed my hinges, but it did not fix the problem. Take a floor jack and a piece of wood to the botom of the door. Keep the door as closed as possible (slightly open) and jack away! Go little bits at a time to check your progress. I did it 2 years ago and the door still closes perfectly!

I changed my hinges, but it did not fix the problem. Take a floor jack and a piece of wood to the botom of the door. Keep the door as closed as possible (slightly open) and jack away! Go little bits at a time to check your progress. I did it 2 years ago and the door still closes perfectly!
I tried that method it doesn't work very well at all :?

I tried that method it doesn't work very well at all :?

I do the same exact thing, but in combination with loosing the hinge to bondy bolts through the inner fenderwell area with the inner fenderwell removed.

If you installed new hinges, they should not sag for several years if you adjusted them correctly.

I couldnt get the hinges to line up, thats when I went to the floor jack, maybe the door metal had bent causing the sag
:werd:

I had wondered about that myself... I put a brand new handle on my driver's side, then new front struts, and after I put the struts on the front, i guess it changed the angle of the sag on my doors and i couldn't get my driver's side door to open at all from the outside... but my striker looks pretty tired too... it's not umm... round, like it used to be, but rather grooved and chewed up. haha