Can't spin them friggin tires

Guest donkeykongrape

Guest donkeykongrape

So, try as I might, me and my friend are in my car and we decide to see how badly my 92 cutlass (3.1) can spin the tires. I stop on the white paint at a stop sign....hold the brake and rev to about 2500 rpms, I dump the brake and it hooks DEAD...I was reading up about how the 3.1s can break traction easily...WTF is up with this? could it be because my tires are brand new?

I wanna do burnouts :(

Also, I've noticed, my engine would sometimes perform better than other times. Sometimes it hauls ass, I can feel myself sinking into the seat when floored, and other times it's just not nearly as powerful....I'm guessing I may have a vacuum leak or maybe loosing compression somewhere eh?

dont feel bad, my 3.4 wont spin em sometimes and other times it leaves 10ft of rubber. if you had a vac. leak your idle would be messed up, and as far as compression, well get a tester and check it i guess.

My 3.1's and 3100's can spin the tires whenever I slam the gas, no matter the conditions? :shrug:

But it is bad to spin the tires all the time and do burnouts, so I don't do them unless a ricer provokes me (hehe like last night with the 3 Saturns) :lol:

My 3.1 has no problems spinning the tires even from a roll....... :)

However, a regular 3.1 might not spin the tires based on road conditions, type of tire, etc.... They just don't have that much torque. A trans that wasn't such a turd would help too.

Shawn

Even with 225's, my 3.1 can easily smoke both tires on dry pavement. I never do, cuz its stupid and terrible for the car, but I have done it once.

Also, I've noticed, my engine would sometimes perform better than other times. Sometimes it hauls ass, I can feel myself sinking into the seat when floored, and other times it's just not nearly as powerful....I'm guessing I may have a vacuum leak or maybe loosing compression somewhere eh?

3.1's are very susceptible to weather conditions. I'll admit that my 3.1 can feel like a complete turd when it's 45 and humid, but when its 25 and dry, it feels like it has 100 more HP. I've talked to others experienced with the 3.1 and they've had the exact same issue. I don't know if its a quirck with the intake or fuel system, or its because of the "old school" ECM, but I know of several 3.1's that produce much different power in different weather conditions.

I was reading up about how the 3.1s can break traction easily...

Where the hell did you read that? :shrug:

a 3.1 in any car with 16" wheels and decent tires is not easily going to spin the tires, at least not in my experience.

My Cutlass could ONLY spin tires in the rain, even after I made them bald. With the e-brake on, though it didn't hardly do shit (the rear tires would still be turning)

my 3100 will roast them in almost any condition, somtimes they go up with out even trying (just getting on the gas on the white paint)

I was at the drag strip the one time and i brake torqued it to ~2500 and when i released the brake and slammed the gas, the passenger side tire went up in smoke, the engine rpms shot to about 5,000 and it smoked the tires for the first 60' until i left off. My friends were all like WTF!

My car has a whopping 43,000 miles on it and has P215/60R16 tires...it is also in perfect running condition. Plus the 3100 isn't the engine that's supposed to have as much low end torque as the 3.1 MPFI

Even my old 2.8 MPFI cutlass with P215/65R15's and 200k on it could at least chirp them

If you have a 3-speed automatic, you have found your problem!

Burnouts are for fags.

:werd: :withstupid:

A fast car is much more impressive than a boring burnout, they are just to warm up the tires for the fast cars :wink: They don't need to show off with smoke :shock:

My 2.8 would barely chirp the tires.. but that thing could have ran better had I givin it a good tuneup. My 3100 seems to spin them better in the summer for some reason. From a stop if I hammer the gas it will still chirp them, but not like in the summer when I might get a few seconds of tire spinnage.

I try not to...but I can...anytime. But its not worth it...my tires have mad tread left and I do not wanna compromise that in any way...

try doing it on the cold pavement...works up here in jersey (even if you dont want it to)

I have a 3 speed.. i chirp tires but that is it haha. in a turn i can spin them slightly, but i have never got my tires to smoke ever in my 3.1

and yes when it is colder the lumina runs like a champ, and i also experience the same sometimes more power crap :)

My lumina with the 3 speed smokes the tires alot easier than my car with the 4T60... My car with the 4T60 actually seems alot slower in acceleration than my car with the 3 speed.

Both cars have the 3.1 and can easily smoke the tires. I constantly do ti in my '92 beucase the snow tires love to break loos on dry pavement and jsut smoke... I've accidently done it so many times.

My girlfriends subie also has the same problem where sometimes it will take off like a bat out of hell and just plant you in your seat, but most of the time you can floor it and it takes its SWEET ASS time to get going. I've almost gotten killed in that car becuase of it

Guest donkeykongrape

That's SO funny hahaha...so I guess I'm not the only one who's engine only feels like being fast when it wants to haha, that's really weird. Maybe it's because I live in FL where it's usually hot and humid, meh, whatever :/

As for smoking the tires, I know it's not good for the car, but hell, I thought these engines put out more power than that! My friend with a 2.5L '87 cutlass ciera inine-4 can do a better burnout than me...and by everyone's responses, I don't know what else to say, some people can smoke em, some can't....I have a 4T60 BW...I believe it's a 4 speed (that consists of 3 gears + overdrive, right??)

If you have a cluster that says something to the effect of PRNDD21 than yes.

If you have one that reads PRND21 you have the 3-spd

The 4 speed sounds like it has 5 gears (you have torque converter lockup) and the 3 sounds like it has for (for the same reason).

This is all moot...

It's the tires. You mentioned you have new tires...you probably by accident purchased a good set...that's your mistake. Some tires are nice...they have low treadwear numbers and stick to anything. Others suck...and have poor tread design, don't handle temperatures well, or have a very high treadwear numbers...ie its a hard compound tire and is very easy to spin.

Yes, HP has some to do with it, but you can make ANY car spin tires on a crappy set. You also didn't mention the tire size, but anything that puts any torque to the ground (even my garden tractor) can spin tires.