Swith

FordBoy

My brights swith doesnt work and the right turn signal shuts off at any sign of movement in that direction left is normal i was told i needed a new steering colum is this true

when you say the brights do not work......

do you mean that inspite of clicking back on the lever, the low beams turn off and the high beams fail to come on?

OR

do you mean that inspite of clicking back on the lever, the low beams stay on?

The dimmer switch itself is located on the left side of the column towards it's base... and is activated by a pushrod. I have seen these switches become maladjusted, beaning loosen the bolts and move the switch up to correct the problem.

I should note: I've seen on occasion that our tilt coumns in the high postion leave the switch disabled... put the wheel as low as it will go, and if the dimmer works then it is an adjustment problem, otherwise try manually grabbing the rod where it meets the switch and clicking it there.

You do not need to fully remove the column to adjust or replace the dimmer switch, just lower the upper column by removing the upper bolts and loosening the lower ones.

meanwhile the turn signal switch can be had from Wells (through autozne for about (EDIT:) $65 get one.

my old signal switch was doing the same thing with canceling as soon as i turned the wheel, it drove me batty till i replaced it.

and correction ken, the switch lists at $65 from autozone.

the swich doesnt even click i pull on it and it moves but no sound no pressure nothing just like pulling on a stick in aira mechanic told me it was bad at the base of the colmn he didnt look at it after i described it he said "it is all apart of the colmn on these cars the only way to fix it is to replace the steering colmn" i dont know the dims dont shut off nothing im lost :?

Your mechanic is trying to rape you.

If it really does have to be replaced for whatever reason, pick a column up from a junkyard and do it yourself. As long as the swivel connection going to the rack doesn't give you any problem putting the new column end in, it's literally about a half hour work, from the start of pulling the old one to the end of putting in the new one.

just make sure you have keys for the new column..

check the pushrod linkage that goes to the dimmer switch, it can be fixed, it is on the upper side of left side of column. remove the rectangular panel from the bootm of the dash beneath the wheel and looking up you will see where it goes, find the 'remotely mounted' dimmer switch.

I would NOT use a USED one. I'm all for saving money, but the w-body switches suck (I've replaced both in my old 88 GP and my 95 GP at around 140k). Buy a new one, it's not a hard job to replace but a bit of a PITA.