New Door Handle From 1AAuto-91 Lumina

95oldsVan

Got my new door Handle for my 91 Lumina Euro...

It fits,it works,and Im am happy with it,but have a big BUT...

First of all,maybe this door handle is a bit tougher than the GM units,but the common piece that breaks on the GM handles,this new unit is still using alloy or pot metal.A magnet would not stick to it.I heard it was made out of steel on this forum but it isnt.Not 1AAuto fault,they just sell the parts.They gave me super fast service and I would do business with them anytime.

Another problem,this is the advertising part that misleading.On their wesbite,the door handle in the picture HAS to be a GM unit.It doesnt look exactly like the one I got from them.Heres why...

Because the one I got,the top part of the upper most part of the outside of the handle is straight across(meets the top of the door).The GM unit and the one in their pic curves up at an angle to seal against the rubber strip there.See website for pic.

This new one is shorter by some and I compared the old one side by side to the new one and its not the same as the old part.So it sits a little lower on the door top than the stock piece.The rubber strip its supposed to cover is exposed.

Please Im not crying im just comparing here.Im glad the door handle works and hope that it will last me a long time.I do need to know if theres a difference between some cars that may have the top part of the handle be more straight and the others curved upward to seal?

I checked their website,my order and everythings correct-part numbers and all.Didnt know if maybe a certain other car with same handle may have a different taper across the top than the lumina,and I got that one instead.

If anyone needs a pic I can send them that email.

Btw,Whos been claiming this stuff is made out of steel on here?

:)

Not me...it was very obvious to me when I got mine that it was zinc.

And as far it being stronger, I'm not really sure that is completely true either. Yeah, it has more material in the common break areas, but my new one is bending at a pretty quick rate. And yes, I and my wife use the pop and grab method. My GM passenger handle has NO bending at 102K miles, and it sees quite a bit of use. The new driver's handle has 10K at the most, with moderate bending already.

And then there is the sub par paint quality, and the fact that they need to be lubed A LOT, or they will freeze up, which never happened to my GM handles.

Whatever. I still think they are nice handles, and a much better deal then the GM ones.

I forgot to add,the paint quality on this new handle were far better than GM's.Mine were just about flawless with no orange peel,craters, or runs.I have no complaints on the finish.

:)

now i've heard just the oppsite about the paint quality on aftermarket door handles :?

Same here...after reading this forum about the paint problems,I thought I was going to have to wet sand down the handle and give it a shot of nice gloss black paint.I dont have to this time.Im very pleased with it.

With my luck,I order a handle for the other side and its gonna be full of orange peel and need pro active to clean the craters out of the paint!

:D

I hate mine, my linkage is set as long as it will go and the door still sticks because the mechanism isint moving far enough, and it looks like shit, BTW got mine from 1aauto.

+1 on the obvious off-shore quality of the replacement handle. I'm not bitching either, the thing works and it was at the right price, but it just doesn't have the fit an OEM replacement has.

For instance, the boss where the lock cylider locates is a bit too deep and the illumination ring is a tight fit. If I tightened the lock cylinder retaining screw, the lock would freeze up. I had to make a plastic washer to get the whole mess to line up properly.

The handle is also starting to bend.

I cant provide a side by side. I put that busted GM one in the trash a LONG time ago and never took pics. I can snap a shot of the linkage, since it's about due for a lube anyways. And I can take an exterior shot of it and my GM passenger one for fit and finish comparison.

This is the A1 one....

This pic really shows off the shitty paint job...

doorhandle001.jpg

Poor fit near the bottom...

doorhandle003.jpg

Poor fit near the top...

doorhandle004.jpg

Shows the bending and overall sloopy appearance...

doorhandle009.jpg

GM passenger side...this is the best pic I could get of the finish...notice that it is smooth, and it fits right...on the top and bottom.

doorhandle014.jpg

No bends, and once again, smooth...

doorhandle015.jpg

And yes, I did spend quite awhile trying to get the A1 to fit properly, but it just isn't right. And I partially blame the cheap ass linkages on it for making me get a new latch, because I had to destroy the old one when the A1 froze up on me.

All that said, it still gets the job done I guess.

Thanks for posting the pics here,I was not able to do so.I have the same fit problem you have but the paint on my unit is a bit better than yours.Same gap problem at the top of the door frame and rubber strip.The GM units fit flush since they have an angle that goes up to flush itself in there.The A1 units are flat across the top so they dont go as high.

:roll: :lol:

I just replaced my passenger side with the 1A part. I was unhappy for the most part. Terrible finish, I could see the grinding marks from the sander underneath the entire exposed finish. Then the small shield that is riveted on was poorly done and cracked and broke off as I was installing it. Also the hinge pin that attaches the handle to the rest was too long and grinds into the piece. I would return it but the cheap price is not worth the hassle of waiting 2 weeks for a replacement. I plan on buying the OEM GM part next, or even a junk yard replacement. Plus I hate putting Taiwanese parts on a domestic car.

Plus I hate putting Taiwanese parts on a domestic car.

I'd be surprised if it's even made in Taiwan, that's considered quality stuff these days. All the cheap crap comes from China.

I really doubt a domestic car has very much domestic content in it. Many parts may be sourced from American companies that design the part, but those companies have them mass manufactured in China or Mexico.

Plus I hate putting Taiwanese parts on a domestic car.

I'd be surprised if it's even made in Taiwan, that's considered quality stuff these days. All the cheap crap comes from China.

I really doubt a domestic car has very much domestic content in it. Many parts may be sourced from American companies that design the part, but those companies have them mass manufactured in China or Mexico.

It's true American cars are less American that many imports. My aunts 01? Passat is like 65% American parts. Where as, most American cars are half that. :shock:

Nevertheless, about the handles. Aaron put a shitty Ebay one on before I bought the car and it sucked! And being a stickler for OEM stuff I gave that handle to Slick.

I priced out the handles at the dealership and they where $269 a piece! I think like just under $200 at GMPartsDirect.

I priced out the handles at the dealership and they where $269 a piece! I think like just under $200 at GMPartsDirect.

W-body handles?

They were $53.50 back when I bought them. :shock:

W-body handles?

yeah...i priced one when my car was broken into and it was like $160 or so...somewhere in that area...i KNOW it wasnt over $200... :shock:

W-body handles?

This was probably like 3-4 months ago.

I just checked the sheet the dealer gave me.

16627462 $209.72

16627463 $209.72

GMPartsDirect pricing

GM LIST: $194.23

OUR PRICE: $114.60