Creating custom clear tail lights...?

blackZ34

Should I make Clear tails for a black Z34 lumina?  

1. 1. Should I make Clear tails for a black Z34 lumina?

Can someone please tell me how to create clear tail lights myself, i have been searching forever to find the answer, and no one seems to be very helpful, so i hope this forum helps, PLEASE! I'm going to put them on my 94 Lumina Z34.

buy a spare set of lights and a heat gun.....

heat up the glue that holds the out side to the inside......

pull it apart carefully, then remove the red plastic thats inside of the lense.

then you want to find a good adhesive to put it back together, then run a bead of silicon around it to water proof it....

done.... its not hard, but be carefull you dont bust up your lights if oyu dont want to buy a new set...

later

joe

Lumina's are a bit different.. I never did this to my Z34, but I have talked to many others who have.

The Lens inside of the light assembly is clear, not red. The red coloring comes from outer Lens which is red. So to make yourself clear lenses, you have to carefully remove that outer red lens with a dremel.

Take the lights apart, and then use a cutting bit of some sort in a dremel, and carefully cut the red lens out. Smooth the edges, and then reassemble.

It's kind of ghetto looking, that's why I never did it.. but for those that want clear lenses, it's the only way to go.

why the hell cant parts manufactures make clear light lenses for other vehicles? not just fuckin rice rockets or trucks, why not other cars, i mean ppl take pride in htyere cars sometimes if it s a tempo for instance, or maybe one of those 3 cyl pontiacs, who wouldnt want to spif theyre car up a bit with euro lights and stuff.

im sorry but the age of the big v8 is almost over(cept in cool cars), its time for little blocks of v6's and I4s and whatever amont of cylinders that asian market dishes out...ok thats enough

why the hell cant parts manufactures make clear light lenses for other vehicles? not just fuckin rice rockets or trucks, why not other cars, i mean ppl take pride in htyere cars sometimes if it s a tempo for instance, or maybe one of those 3 cyl pontiacs, who wouldnt want to spif theyre car up a bit with euro lights and stuff.

Businesses are in the market to make money.

There's no money in making clear lenses for us, or Tempos, or 3-cyl Pontiacs (there's such a thing?).

It costs a ton of $$$ for the equipment, labor, etc. to design and manufacture these things, they need to sell enough quantity to make enough profit to cover these costs.

that may be true, but i bet if they did make em, they would make money

the 3 cyl pontiac was ummmmmmmmmmm

i forget it will come to me though it wasa littel tiny car

well I would say the manufact's are dumb! There are at least 5 known well known w-bodies sites and 200+ memebers in each. If you figure at least half will want clear, smoke, carbon fiber, or altezza and sale them for lets say $150ea thats roughly $75K so catering just to the imports is stupid. I would go to the webrings for every vehicle and thats where I would make my decision. That is the same idiotic type thinking those dummy's did when the 95+ cav came out. They did not have any parts whatsoever and lost bigggggggg $$$$$. Just j-body.org alone had 5,000 members!!!!!

I don't think they can profit much on a couple hundred units of one design, they'd need to be able to sell a few thousand units.

Also, many of the W-body forums have the same members. Considering maybe there are up to 1000 W-body enthusiasts, 500 that have any interest in aftermarket body accessories, and 400 that are willing to pay over $100 for aftermarket taillights for example. Of these 400, the taillights would need to be different for every type of W-body as they don't share taillights. So assuming (and I'm just guessing here):

35% are 88-96 Grand Prix owners

20% are 95-99 Lumina/Monte owners

15% are 90-94 Lumina owners

16% are Cutlass 2dr owners

10% are Cutlass 4dr owners

2% are Regal 2dr owners

2% are Regal 4dr owners

So let's say for Lumina, that's only 60-units. Even fewer if you break down by who wants clear, who wants altezza, etc.

They're not going to make any money off that if they have to design, tool, and build the molds to make these lights. Plus the procedures and labor to have them assembled.

There are THOUSANDS of J-body enthusiasts, and they DO make clear and altezza lights for them. Also tens of thousands of truck and import enthusiasts.

I don't think I've ever seen a Civic locally that has FACTORY rims, but 99.999% of W-bodies do, and that includes the 88-96 Grand Prix which I think is the most popular with first-gen W-body enthusiasts.

This is just what would go through my head, and I'm sure the aftermarket companies actually have fulltime staff that study these things.

man there are so many people that have 88-96 gp's that want to do stuff and can't its just stupid. I am telling you they are sleeping on a gold mine. #1 the cars are cheap, cheap to fix, and cost beans so the owners got money to spend. well it doesn't matter they are not going to do it so we might as squash it. The did wise up though and make them for 97+ :D. I would buy one but no more auto's for me. AUTO'S SUCK!