Braking cross post from l67swap.com

L67wanaB

I had the same question as this guy... here's the post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last month I had the rear calipers and pads replaced my 93 Lumina. In addition I also had the front pads replaced.

The rear calipers had siezed and I didn't have the time to perform the repair myself, so I took it to a shop.

Well the end ticket was reasonable, but I was a bit concerned when the mechanic told me the rotors didn't need turned. I had even expressed that replacing the rotors (both sets) was acceptable.

Well, to make things short, I'm convinced I have a warped front rotor, perhaps both.

So now, since I'm going to do this swap, I'm looking into brake upgrades. I've read the article on w-body.com about replacing the knuckles with salvaged 95 or better w-bodies, but I'm unsure if the newer knuckles will allow for 12 or 13 inch rotors.

The upgrade kits from RSM are expensive as hell to boot! $2,500 bucks for front and rear is a bit hefty.

Anyone find some more cost effective kits or advice?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you can get the knuckles and calipers off a 97+ GP, then get on GMPartsdirect.com and search for #12498644. This is a 12" rotor kit for W-Body cars, and it only costs $255. Might be something to think about.

Knuckles and calipers for a 97+ GP won't fit. They are a night and day difference. Trying to get them to fit would be about as difficult as say, trying to get Toyota Camry knuckles to fit.

Why not just buy a stocker? advance has them listed at $15 and $19. thats is the cheapest set of rotors ever for any gm!!

I'm not looking to continue using the sub-par stock system. The whole setup isn't well designed in the first place, but I'm sure it's fine for trips to the store and back.

I'll be swapping the stock 3.1 and the trans for a L67 and perhaps a 5 speed. I want the brakes and suspension to perform as well as the engine does. The stock system just won't do that.

Larger cross drilled or slotted rotors and double pistoned calipers are a better match for the drive train.

Knuckles and calipers for a 97+ GP won't fit. They are a night and day difference. Trying to get them to fit would be about as difficult as say, trying to get Toyota Camry knuckles to fit.

I was under the impression that if you pulled the entire strut assembly (knuckle included), that it would fit in a first gen W-body. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I hate giving out bad info.

Nah, I took a good look at one before. Everything is different, even the balljoint is oppositely oriented. Where we have balljoints attached to the knuckle and held in by stud going through the A-arm attached via castle nut, the 97+ are the opposite. Balljoint mounted on the A-arm with a stud going into the knuckle. Also where the tierods attach is in a different location. Possibly, and I say this VERY loosely, the bolt pattern on the upper strut mount might be similar... they're both 3-bolt, but I haven't actually really measured or asked anyone to measure.

Maybe luminator can answer that question since he has both.

But pretty much, the gen 2 W-body is a COMPLETE redesign.

get out your welder! because these are the 95+Struts_Steering2.jpg

this is from dykez's site of a 93 lumina lower12.jpg

we basically are F_ED!!! otherwise I would have already had them on my car along with the coilovers!