NEED HELP!! POWER SEAT CONVERSION

KinG_NothiN

If anybody at all can help me, it would be really appreciated. What i'm tryin to do is take my seats (all of them) out from my 90 Lumina Euro (mainly cause the interior looks like a pimp's car), and replace them with ones from a 1st Gen Grand Prix STE that I found at the wreckers a day ago.

Problem is, power seats weren't available in the Lumina till later years as far as I know, and even if it did have em, I think it was just the driver side. Bottom line is, I need to find some way to hook up these power seats into my Lumina. Now, the seats I'm gonna be pullin out of Grand Prix are the really expensive power ones with about 8 different movement controls for them: 3 for lumber, one for each leg, recline, and forward and back i believe.

I desparately want this interior so if anybody knows how to convert these so that i can put these power seats in my Lumina, i would greatly appreciate it if you would help me, or at least steer me in the right direction. I'm gettin a good deal on these new seats and would hate to have to pass it up if they cant be hooked up. :(

I am not an auto electric expert by any means but I could make an educated guess. I forget what fuse the power seats go into on the w-bodies but it should be simply a matter of finding which circuit it went into from the factory and wiring into that. Even though the Lumina did not come with power seats I do believe the fuse block is the same as other w-bodies. Again I could be way off on this, just a guess.

Jason

Pull the wire harnesses as complete as possible.

Power seats should pretty much just need power, so long as you have all the rest of the underseat wiring intact.

I'll see if I can dig up a wiring diagram later when I get home.

I used to have bench seats in my 88 CS without power and i pulled power seats from 89 International CS, and had a same problem as you did but i got the power off the cigarette lighter and it works now for over 2 years, same thing i did with DIC for the memory i get power off the cigarette lighter too.

I was wondering...

1) Did they ever make dual power seats for CS sedans like mine?

2) Would it be possible. I was thinking of taking a power seat, and just moving the conrtols to the other side, so the passenger could have one. As long as I got power from somewhere, would this be possible?

jon

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

If any body does have an wiring diagrams though, it would be greatly appreciated. I've spent countless hours on the internet already trying to research this and have come up empty handed.

Also, if I run power to the seats from the back of the fuse panel as some of you have suggested, will it just be a matter of hooking up a couple power wires? or will there be many connections do to the complexity of the seats??

Ryan

1) Did they ever make dual power seats for CS sedans like mine?

jon

As far as I know, the only car GM put dual power seats in was/is the Bonneville and the Grand Prix STE's. The only w-body to come with factory dual power seats was the STE.

Usually a power seat has just two wires hot / ground running under the carpet and out a hole under the seat. Ideally you should get the wires out right to their source, that should tell you where to connect in your car.Otherwise there should be a power source for you in the fuse panel. They look like a fuse position except the have just one slot or side. Usually there is ign and batt available. If you look at the salvage yard you can find cars where GM used factory plugs into these slots to run power to stuff like power trunk, etc. Use one of these for a neat connection. Run your grond somewhere so when you drill it in you dont perforate to the outside.

If you mean the GP seats that have the center armrest control then that is a whole different game.

Guest fatguy

The seats in my TSTE get power from the courtesy fuse (same for cig lighter and interior lights. All the wiring is self contained in the seat. Make sure you get the control panel for them though. A couple of concerns or common problems:

1) before mounting make sure the air lines to the different componets work. If there is a leak that component doesn't work and it is way annoying.

2) I do question if they will bolt in or will you have to make the seat mounts. The base on my TSTE seats look wider than the Cutty ones?

Dunno, just my $.02

I hooked up the seats from my Cutty Int'l into my 73 Nova, 2 wires and bam done. The hardest part was actually mounting them.