smoking headlight switch (STE)

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i replaced all the door lights & lenses in my STE this week. i started messing around with the light switch & checking all of the exterior lights. i noticed the rear light bar was flickering and as soon as i sat in the front seat i noticed alot of smoke coming out of the light switch area :shock: i quickly shut the lights & ignition off and disconnected the battery.

i'm planning on getting another switch from the j/y....it doesn't have to be from an STE does it? do need to find another switch from a GP with a light bar or would one from a coupe work?

thanks

Yeah, Josh it has security lighting.

Security lighting is that slider lever below the dimmer slider.

It leaves the dome light, and headlights on for an alloted amount of time after you shut the ignition off. I have mine set for 10 seconds or so because my door latch is messed up and doesn't turn my dome light on when I open my door.

Guest TurboSedan

It leaves the dome light, and headlights on for an alloted amount of time after you shut the ignition off. I have mine set for 10 seconds or so because my door latch is messed up and doesn't turn my dome light on when I open my door.

ah ok. the GTS has that same feature (though it's not adjustable IIRC). i'll have to post a WTB thread since i'm almost positive i can't find one locally.

btw, do i have to remove the cluster to get this part out?

ah ok. the GTS has that same feature (though it's not adjustable IIRC). i'll have to post a WTB thread since i'm almost positive i can't find one locally.

Im pretty sure you dont. Its like two screws and an electrical connector, I think. Might have to take the dash pad off. I'd go out and look at my STE and tell ya for sure, but its cold

Guest TurboSedan

Im pretty sure you dont. Its like two screws and an electrical connector, I think. Might have to take the dash pad off. I'd go out and look at my STE and tell ya for sure, but its cold

that's cool i'll figure it out tomarrow. i'm not very familiar with the GP interior but i did remove the HUD & dashpad out of a j/y '91 STE a long time ago so i'm sure it will come back to me.