Integrated console car phone!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Since i have yet to get my wiring diagrams for the coutesy switch, i worked on another cool project...

A fully integrated car phone! And, it works!

I used an AudioVox PRT 95 phone. I've got it mounted in the rear center console. Space was at a premium so I detached the hangip cup from the analogue receiver and mounted the receiver in the trunk, behind where the seats are, between the panel and the carpeting. I ran the antenna cable under the moulding and into the trunk.

The hangup cup fits perfectly into the rear console, and i have the phone sitting in there. There was a small crevice that i was able to run the cord under where the acess door is to the trunk. I also ran the power cord in this way. I had to get an extension cord for the 12V adapter, so that cost $4 (i got the phone for $10) I ran the cable behind the seats, then under the side panel, and under the door jam trim. Then i ran it underneath the carpet using the plastic trays for the DIC/AQ9's that i found under there, and then up into the center console. My car had a hole in the console tray when i got it (probably for a previous device), so I ran the cig light end through it, with enough slack to plug in, and i can keep it in the smaller tray with the lid closed.

Then i tryed the phone. I dialed my number, and i got a message from verizon, thank you for using our service and we are connecting you to another wireless carrier. I think the name was AllTell, which runs out of the south. They said that they would connect my call but the other party would have to pay $2.99 plus $1.99 for each additional minute, or i could charge it to a credit card. I decided i was paying $3+ for this call, so i hung it up.

Here are some images: I fell like such a yuppie.

Antenna:

phone1.jpg

Trunk-mounted analogue receiver:

phone3.jpg

The phone in the console:

phone4.jpg

Closeup:

IMG_0731.jpg

The cigarette light adapter in the front console:

phone2.jpg

Guest Anonymous

No carriers will activate it. If i lived in the south, AllTell probably would becuase they still use analogue... I wonder if they would activate it up here, but i doubt it. In any case, I can use it if i have to, it would just cost alot.

It looks so badass back there though.

Guest Anonymous
All you need is a stocked bar fridge and TV's in the headrests and you could chauffuer people around. :lol:

I saw a camry on west end ave that had one of those TV antennas that looked like a boomerang, but it was maybe 4" wide and mounted where i have my antenna... crazy ideas came up!

Guest Anonymous
What's up with that sticker on your rear window.. the W with the X through it?

anti-bush sticker.

I tryed calling my cell phone from it, and decided to go through all the menus again, and i got to a point where they wanted a calling card number to connect.

Cingular and Alltel both use GSM, which is digital service. They use SIM cards. I don't think you will be able to get that phone activated I'm afraid. If that phone isn't GPS cabable then you DEFINITELY won't be able to.

Guest Anonymous
... of all places, the back seat??

It was the best place for it, IMO. It cluttered the dash, and i need my front console for storage. The rear console had easy acess for trunk-mounting the appartus, and it fits in there perfectly.

What's the point. Someone trys to call you when you are driving, you can't answer it.

Just get a cell phone holder for your air vent like normal people do...

I'm sure you can find a better use for the rear console.

Guest Anonymous
that's pointless.....any plans for installing a beta vcr with a matching 13" TV ???

i just might!

I'm also researching digital car phones. They are available in Europe, but i'm having trouble finding a quad-band model.

Guest Anonymous
:lol: Ross, if anyone ever buys your car, they're going to wonder what the hell year it originally was, with the older cluster, the old-school bagphone, and the radio, and the leather AQ9's. :lol:

As long as i dont get pissed at the car again, I'm not going to worry about that. Its with me for the rest of its life as far as im concerned, unless, of course, both doorhandles break again and i decide to drop a match down the gas tank. Otherwise, if its sitting in a j/y 20 years from now and w-body researchers stumble upon it, they will be scratching thier heads.

that's pointless.....any plans for installing a beta vcr with a matching 13" TV ???

:withstupid:

Although, I guess you can still dial 911 from it, and with 3W transmit power, it should be able to work way out in the middle of nowhere.

If it connects to Alltel, you might be able to get service for it.

http://www.alltel.com/personal/wireless/plans/prepaid.html

I know my old TDMA phone on Beyond Wireless can roam on analog, but at 4x the per-minute rate (40-cents/min I think). I don't know if you can receive calls when roaming though.