FE1 to FE3

Tru2Chevy

I have a '91 base Lumina and a '91 Z34 parts car. My base Lumina has 188k miles on it, and the Z34 only has 91k miles. How much of a difference is the FE3 monoleaf from the FE1? Also, are the front springs on the Z34 different from the FE1, and if so, would you consider it worth the effort to swap them over?

I have new rear struts and the Moog blocks already to use, and I figured that I could swap the monoleaf from the Z34 and add a set of GMPP tubular trailing arms all at the same time. I also am going to grab the front sway bar from the Z34, is the rear bar also larger, or are they the same?

- Justin

Theres a huge difference between FE1 and FE3. My car is FE1 and with the winter tires on, lol it keeps you on your toes thats for sure! But basically FE3 has a bigger front sway bar, and a rear sway bar (which youve prolly noticed the FE1 does not)

With regard to the front stuts, there is a difference. I am satisfied with my fe1 suspension with upgraded sway bar. Three of my W fleet are FE1, and two have upgraded sway bars. IMO the sway bars matter more than the soft springs. The FE1 with the heavier sway bars gives a soft but stable ride, and I'm happy that way.

One thing to note. The biggest differenc on my car came from upgrading the front sway bar. I don't feel the rear sway bar contributed very much to my car at all. It feels stable back there.

Ok, so I'll definetly swap the front sway, and maybe the rear. I'm prolly gonna replace the monoleaf just because it has half of the milage anyway, and mine is getting saggy and has been without the isolator pads for the last 15k miles or so.

I'll check the spring codes on the fronts to see how they compare, but I prolly wont' bother swapping them over.

Thanks for the help, and that spring code link!

- Justin

Theres a huge difference between FE1 and FE3. My car is FE1 and with the winter tires on, lol it keeps you on your toes thats for sure! But basically FE3 has a bigger front sway bar, and a rear sway bar (which youve prolly noticed the FE1 does not)

It was discussed recently that some FE1 cars DID have a rear sway bar. Mine, for example. :) (although I've seen a Cutlass sedan of the same year that did not)

It was discussed recently that some FE1 cars DID have a rear sway bar. Mine, for example. :) (although I've seen a Cutlass sedan of the same year that did not)

I should note that i brought that up. My 95 CS has FE1 with FE3 type sway bars, identical to the ones from my totaled FE3 lumina euro, which are now on my FE1 lumina.