Do Moog leaf spring helpers work?

nerfbars

I dont have a problem with my rear suspension but should I put these on my 89 Cutlass anyway. Do they change the feel of the ride much? I do pull a trailer with my Honda TRX250R on it once in a while.

I had them on my car for 2 years, you could drop 500 lbs in the trunk and the rear will barely sag. Handling is greatly improved, especially noticeable if you dont have a rear swaybar. The only downside is a little harsher ride, like having stiff struts in the back. I took them out because I got another rear spring that can handle more than 1 passenger (old spring was a piece)

no I got the base LE model, not extra trim or ground effects. I may have FE3, I'll just check the RPO tomorrow, I just assumed I had the FE1, cuz its a base model GP

Robby

From the way the picture looks, the spring helpers look like they'd be similar to riding on bumpstops.

Are they solid rubber, or is there a spring inside?

They are rubber, but you're not "riding" on them. What it really does is more or less change the spot where the spring flexes. Instead of at the stock bracket, it flexes a little bit at the bracket, and more at the spring helper.

Oh I get it. I wasn't thinking. It just shortens the effective area of the spring and increases spring rate, right? I think it would be a similar effect to chopping coils off of a coil spring.

no I got the base LE model, not extra trim or ground effects. I may have FE3, I'll just check the RPO tomorrow, I just assumed I had the FE1, cuz its a base model GP

Robby

Yeah I have the FE1 suspension package, but I DO have the 12mm sway bar, very strange. Oh well, Im about to check out my spring rates and what not and see what everything on the RPO codes mean, Im a big dork like that.

Robby

Ok so they'll improve handling but kill the soft ride. I think my Gabriel struts did a good enough job of killing my soft ride to begin with. I dont know if I want it any harder.

My mechanic came up with a leaf spring assister kit for $40 which is nothing more than a set of plastic blocks to replace the existing (and cracked) rubber bushings for the mono leaf spring. This part got rid of noticeable sagging in the rear as compared to the front, and made for a slightly harsher ride. The leaf spring helper parts are $100 and this is different, they fit more towards the centre of the vehicle and have three adjustable rubber shims for each of the two parts to alter the height of the car. The heavier the load, the more shims necessary. Also these could correct left to right warpage of the leaf spring. Anyway, I'm quite impressed with the bushing replacement repair and think it accomplished what I was looking for, for less money.

I dont have a problem with my rear suspension but should I put these on my 89 Cutlass anyway. Do they change the feel of the ride much? I do pull a trailer with my Honda TRX250R on it once in a while.

i also have an LE with the rear sway bar so your not the only one,lol. i cant see my RPO because that middle section of the spare tire board faded. But do these helpers (if you use it without any extra shims) raise the ride height?