Having a few probs with the Lumina

NeonKnight

Well for the info, i have a 1991 Lumina Euro 3.1 TH125c

she is my red devil, and i love her lots.

anyways, my car has started to die on me 2 times now. once today, once yesterday. its just random. and it is not the ICM since that was replaced not but a few months ago. when it does die the rpms start to flux and then it dies, starts right back up with no prob and i can keep going and it wont do it for a while...

the odd things my car is doing. or has been doing:

when starting the car, if you hit the gas and rev it for a second you will smell fuel.

after driving for a while the cars rpms start to flux slightly, especially when the blinker is turned on, the needle slightly moves with the blinker... which i think is freaking odd.

when i have the car in park or nuetral, and if i rev it to around 2.5k rpms or so and let off you hear a pop kind of sound, and a nasty kinda rattle or something. i need to hook a mic up so i can record this sound.

im wondering if a lil POS injector could be causing me this problem. i notice that sometimes my car acts like it has no power but i dunno.

lately my tranny feels as if it is taking longer to shift also, well sometimes. i just added fluid the other day. and sometimes if you catch it inbetween 2nd and 3rd and you tap the gas you feel a kind of kick. or something like it just tried to nuetral drop itself or something. its odd.

also i replaced all my struts with monroe sensatracs, and all new mounts too. i still hear a kinda of clunking sound in the rear left... i had this sound before when the strut was bad... so what could be causing this noise?

im sorry if i do not make a hella lot of sense right now, i can barley see what i am typing since i am so tired heh.

a few things i do know... my car needs an alignment, havent changed the CPS in god knows how long, i need a oil pan gasket, a tranny pan gasket and filter + flush

so what ever you guys can help me out with i appreciate it :)

When exacly does it die? while accelerating? while stopped and idling?

I have that transmission so I know what you're talking about. A filter change will definatley help you out there. Mine used to do what you're talking about to an almost extreme degree, under heavy throttle it will drive normally, then SLAM down and throw all the passengers back, a filter change helped alot...

alt is newer my sister drove my car before it was "released" to me, i didnt have my license yet. so when she was driving it she blew the alt and replaced it :D i got off free on that one haha. at 120k miles the car had a full tune up and a new belt put on by the previous owner "my neighbor" the car was my graduation present.

it dies when idling, the things that make me mad most about my car is the fact that its doing the odd idling crap where the needle kind of just counces slightly. it never used to.... been like this for a while.... maybe im due for a new battery, mine is from feb 02 i think. i dunno lawl. im limited on what i can buy i lost my job haha...

thanks for input :D

Well it has not died on me today... but i still have not driven very far.. anyone have any ideas?

im falling short about to just replace my injectors, CPS, PCV ( i know this needs to be done) and god knows what else lol

with that rattling sound....mine does that..when its cold, all the TIME!! and its loud, kinda like a whistling/rattling sound

ive pinpointed it down to the PS pump, and A/C compressor(or clutch assy..cant remember)

its not the alternator in my case, i dunno if its the same for you or not!