Dome Override switch

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking to wire in a "dome override" switch. basically, is what it does is it shuts off your interior lights if you have the doors open.

For example, if i am working or cleaning inside the car, and i need the doors open, the interior lights will stay on and drain the battery. In these situations, the switch will shut off the lights. my friend's blazer has this on his headlight switch. Look here:

30_1_b.jpg

How hard do you think this would be to do?

I've noticed my inteior lights have three wires, orange, white, and black. The white wire is the one which grounds the orange when the door(s) is open, and turns the light. So, i essentially would need to switch this wire. My guess is that its source would be at my headlight pod? I'm planning on using a bonneville fog light switch for this, and i would like to wire in a small bulb to indicate when it is on/off (the switch has a light embedded, but i would like to add a battery icon beside the switch). This will either go in the OHC or a custom job in the center console.

That sounds like a good plan, and I don't think very difficult to do...

I like how many newer vehicles the lights will go off automatically after you have the doors open for like 10min or something. I notice this often, for obvious reasons...

Guest Anonymous

My 95 Grand Prix used to shut the lights off affter 10 minutes if you left the door open. The 92 does not. I am always in there cleaning, and once i did have the battery die on me. I think it would be a pretty cool project, especially with the added battery icon light.

My car probalby has it too, I just don't clean it often to notice :lol:

To me that would be a more worthwhile to install then having a switch. But a switch would be cool too.

Guest Anonymous

The timer is probably embedded within the 95-ish Headlight switch.

My 89 light pod has the secuirty lighting slider, but that is only for after the doors are closed. I've been leaving it off becuase it will kill the battery in no-time, since it leaves the headlights on. I usually set it for 10 seconds. I really like this project idea and would find it very useful.

Your best option is to tap into your Cutersy fuse. This is the fuse for your dome/trunk/hood light. I reguarly pull it out when working/cleaning my car as this does kill your battery after a while.

IDK why I never thought of putting that on a switch!

Guest Anonymous
Your best option is to tap into your Cutersy fuse. This is the fuse for your dome/trunk/hood light. I reguarly pull it out when working/cleaning my car as this does kill your battery after a while.

I do that too alot. Often, i have the trunk, doors glovebox, and hood open at the same time. So thats, lets see, like 12 lights on! How would one switch it at the fuse box? That does seem like a good idea. have any ideas on how to do so? It seems like it would be hard to get back there for the splicing.

Yeah, same here it kills the battery pretty quick!

On a 1st gen W getting behind there isnt too hard, all you have to do is remove the glove box and 3 screws hold the fuse box in.

It actually sounds harder than it's explained. I might do this tomorrow and take pics and mabye a writeup?

It has always aggrivated me that these cars don't have that switch.

I've never seen it called Dome Override though. In our Caravan, for instance, it's just another setting on the interior lights dimmer dial. Our cars have the same thing, but it only controls the instrument cluster. Pretty sure the interior lights don't dim with the dial in the Dodge (just the cluster does), but there is another "click" that will turn them off.

Wait, so your telling me that your battery will die if your doors are left open for too long?

I've left my doors open, my trunk open, and my hood open for well over an hour at time, and have NEVER had any problems starting my car, or the battery dying.

Sounds to me like you have an electrical drain issue(which I noticed from another thread of yours anyways).

Wait, so your telling me that your battery will die if your doors are left open for too long?

I've left my doors open, my trunk open, and my hood open for well over an hour at time, and have NEVER had any problems starting my car, or the battery dying.

Sounds to me like you have an electrical drain issue(which I noticed from another thread of yours anyways).

Situations like that are usually from having them open for more than 1 hour at a time... especially if you're using the radio or something in addition

My 95 Grand Prix used to shut the lights off affter 10 minutes if you left the door open. The 92 does not. I am always in there cleaning, and once i did have the battery die on me. I think it would be a pretty cool project, especially with the added battery icon light.

That's what my cutlass does. If it's only a few wires, I don't think it'd be that hard for you to accomplish Ross.

:werd:

When I was installing my amp I have the trunk both doors and hood open for 5 hours and never thought about killing the battery (but I guess I only have 5 lights that are on in total lol).....car started like usual with no problems...and then after I got the amp installed I sat in my car with the trunk and hood open listening and fine tuning gain levels (I found out after I started the engine how shitty it would sound with a nice whine :roll: )..I've left the map lights on in the rear view mirror on overnight one time :oops: and didn't know till I adjusted the rear view mirror and it was red hot lol....I think the only time my battey has ever died was with the alternator taking a shit - and I think I was driving around with a dead alternator for 2 days using the rear defrost, blower fan, headlights, radio, etc... :shock:

Anyway, I guess you aren't able to run your lights that long, I think the project sounds really cool!!! Especially if a light lights up in your instrument cluster or something.

Situations like that are usually from having them open for more than 1 hour at a time... especially if you're using the radio or something in addition

When I have mine open, I'm usually doing a sub/amp install as well, and testing and tuning with the vehicle off for a good 30 minutes.