Has anyone put a 94-96 GP Hud into a 95+ Cutlass

dhs1223

Good Afternoon:

I finally got the photo of the "harness" - sorry it took so long Jeremy.

DSCF0008.jpg

Three connector plugs that were wrapped in foam - the largest is for the HUD unit, the blue one for the HUD controls and the grey one - unknown?

And per Crazy K's request, a photo of the HUD unit and switches I have to put into the car.

DSCF0010.jpg

Once again, I am sorry it took so long to get these photos up, but I ask that you overlook that and provide whatever insight you might have to share about this.

I am in the process of making a template to aid in the cutting of the 95 Cutlass dash. I want to make sure that I don't cut away any more material than is necessary. I plan on taking a plain non-HUD GP dash pad I have and temporarily installing it to determine how much of the dash it covers, then layout the template to insure that there is adequate space between the HUD unit and the outer limits of the dash pad.

I will take pictures of this preparation process and post them also. This may take me until later in the week, but I will let you know how it is going.

Once again, if anyone has done it or seen it before, chime in and share what you know with all of us.

Thanks again.

the gray harness appears to have two wires... and it is the Eng/met switch harness. The second gear start switch in the GP is the same exact switch, except for the label.

thank you for the HUD unit pic!

Guest Anonymous

That blue harness looks exactly like the foglight switch harness... But i would assume that you have foglights already. In my white car the eng/met was part of the actual hUD harness and was connected to the DIC...

did cutty get a separate eng/met switch?

depends....

the CS (example my 91) with UB3 digital guages utilizes the same eng/met switch for both the cluster and the HUD.

The newer CS with a UB3 analog cluster (example 93 & 94) uses a seperate switch for the the eng met. it is locataed on the center console in front of the shifter.

On the 93 GP that donored me a HUD I could not find a eng/met switch.

Guest Anonymous

GP's were switched via the DIC (if equipped, 88-96) or via the wiper pod slider in 88 and 89 only. If you cant find a switch, just ground the blue e/M wire. grounding it outs it into metric units.

the gray harness appears to have two wires... and it is the Eng/met switch harness. The second gear start switch in the GP is the same exact switch, except for the label.

To confirm, the grey harness does have two wires. I don't understand the function of the second gear start switch. Could someone explain what it actually does?

I don't understand the function of the second gear start switch. Could someone explain what it actually does?

It's a primitive form of traction control. It applies to electronic trannies only.

When applied, it basically it tells the PCM to not activate the A shift solenoid, and the car will not go into first gear. When you start in second gear, it allows you to rev the engine higher, without breaking traction. If you try the second gear start on dry pavement, the tranny acts slugish as hell, which of course would be optimal for slippery conditions....

read:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36750

I mearly mentioned that it is the same switch, with the same installation casing. If I successfully install the HUD, then i would add another switch next to the one I have added already.

www.3100mpfi.com is the guy's home page.

it it's not there, ask over at modernolds.net. ToroToro on here knows who i am referring to, i bet.

TAYLOR's Cutlass :shock: i know who you are talking about too :lol: