Has anyone put a 94-96 GP Hud into a 95+ Cutlass

dhs1223

I was wondering if anyone on the board has added a HUD to a 95+ Cutlass.

I recently confirmed that my 1995 Cutlass has the necessary harness in the dash. I recently got the HUD projector and just today at lunch I found a GP in a yard that had the 94-96 GP HUD dashpad. I pulled the dashpad and the switches. I didn't have any tools otherwise I would have pulled the projector also ( I was just there on my lunch scouting and didn't think I would find something that I didn't want to leave without). I may go back for it later in the week, but I checked and the plastic lense is scratched and the entire unit is covered in thick dust and dirt.

The dashpad is filthy with a couple of scratches, so I will probably end up painting / dying it. Also, the switches are kind of dirty also, the car has a sunroof which was open, so the interior of the car is full water and dirt.

If anyone has taken on this project, I would like to hear what you came up against. Also, if you have any pictures of how much of the original dash pad you had to cut away, that kind of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

damn you! Go To Hell!!!! j/k

I am going to retrofit a 97 GP Hud into my 95 CS. it is virtually the same with a different pin set up. The switch would be by the turn signal, and the eng/met would be below it......

I have to add all my wires. Not a problem for me.

BUt I would like to know the exact same thing you do, about the rest of the install details.

With regards to the location of the harness.

When the driver's door is open, at the end of the dash is a removable cover like the one on the passenger side to gain access to the fuse panel.

Remove the driver's side panel and if the car is equipped, you will find inside this opening towards the firewall, a bundle of wires with connectors wrapped up in foam.

Apparently some 1995 Cutlass' have this as they were originally scheduled to receive HUD, therefore, they would have the same harness in the dash as the 1995 Grand Prix.

I confirmed that my car has these unused wires and connectors before I started to collect the necessary parts. I found a projector on Ebay first, and just yesterday found a dash pad and switch at the junk yard.

I will initially start by connecting just the switch and the projector to the wiring out that hole at the end of the dash to make sure the parts I have actually work.

If that proves a success, then I will look at what is involved to prepare the dash to receive it. I am very hesitant about cutting into the dash, that is why I asked earlier if anyone has done it and if there are any potential issues I should be looking out for and if there are any photos of the process.

Thanks again.

Is there not anyone that has added HUD to a 95+ Cutlass?

I was really hoping someone could share some comments on the process.

I guess if I get no responses, I will have to approach this project very carefully.

And in response to "Crazy K" - yes my car has automatic climate control, but I am not sure about what level of audio system, but I have a factory head unit with both CD and Cassette and six speakers.

I hope someone will chime in with information on this subject.

Thanks again.

Just make sure you know (pretty sure anyway), '96 GP HUDs are different because they read off an OBDII system. The datastream isn't the same. Same obviously goes for '96/'97 Cutlasses that might be subject to the swap.

Now like I said, I'm PRETTY sure this is the case... I know there was at least one related issue as far as being different between OBD 1.5 and II, maybe it was just about the DIC though.

Good info.

6 speakers.... actually 8, if you do have the deluxe sounds system.

If the factory speakers are still installed, you will see that each of the rear factory speakers have two seperate pairs of wires running to them. a wopofer and a tweeter. A car with the deluxe speakers should also have a raised cloth grill over the rears, and seperate tweeters for the fronts. The amp is hidden behind the right side of the drivers kick pad, to the right of the column.

I have the wiring info (courtesy of StockGP) for both the 97 HUD and 95 CS cluster.

Although it has a different pin order than a 95, the 97 HUD should feed off of the rest of the wires and work exactly like the 95 one would. except--->

The major difference is it hooks to some sort of DATA line that feeds from the radio. The 97 has a built in radio info display to tell you what station you are on. The radio wire is the only wire that doesn't directly feed from the clusters harness. If it isn't hooked up, that part of the display would most likely not turn on or even be noticed. That is how the low fuel indicator in a 94 CS, or 93 Gp HUD is. If it isn't hooked up, it doesn't turn on, including when it cycles for the first time. It recognizes the resistance in the ground to be operable.

how about.... pics of someones dash without the HUD installed????

EDIT:Gp dash with the whatchamacall it insert across the front removed.

2 per channel. The rear speakers of the cars with an amp is a 6x9 with with a tweeter mounted in the middle. These tweeters actually use completely seperate feeds, unlike the typical dual cones speakers. Hence they are technically two Seperate speakers that are mounted on each other, since they don't use the same feed.

In fact, I upgraded my speakers in my CS to the deluxe one and drove it for 6 months before discovering that they were totally seperate and I had no amp! thus I have upgraded again.... to concert surround II speakers from a olds 98, and used some buick riviera tweeters for the front.

gutless supreme, the hud out of 96+ cars WILL work with 95 and under cars.

there is someone on modernolds.net that has a 97+ gp hud running off of a 1988 cutty pcm

ok, maybe I was just thinking of the DICs then.

gutless supreme, the hud out of 96+ cars WILL work with 95 and under cars.

there is someone on modernolds.net that has a 97+ gp hud running off of a 1988 cutty pcm

link please???

I am interested in learning if the 95 CS radio, which has a data line, would feed my 97 GP HUD, btw. A future project.

can you post a pic of said harness?

:withstupid: ...i'd like to see pics of this harness...i've had that panel off before and the only thing i saw was the frame of the dash...maybe mine doesnt have it since its a '97?...

BTW: jeremy, is that your old cutlass in your sig?...cause it almost looks like mine before the tint... :lol:

Sorry I have not responded to your question about a picture of the "harness".

I currently do not have a way to post any pictures.

However, what I have learned in the past is that some of the 95 Cutlass' have a bundle of wires wrapped in foam that you can access through the panel I described. They were pushed towards the firewall when I looked in my car.

It appears that since the Cutlass was originally scheduled to have HUD for 1995, that some cars have this as part of the dash wiring. I have read that 96 and 97 Cutlass' do not have this wiring.

When I unwrapped the bundle of wiring that was pushed up to the firewall, I found three connectors. I am assuming they are for the HUD projector, the HUD switch and I am hoping the third is for the DIC.

I hope to test my theory soon. This weekend looks unlikely as I have too many commitments, however, I will attempt to connect the HUD projector and the HUD switch I have acquired to see if they light up. If this works, I will then try to acquire a DIC from a 94+ GP.

One issue that I also must address is that the dash pad that I found in a 94 GP will have to be altered slightly. The domed part that goes over the cluster is kind of let into the GP dash. The Cutlass dash does not provide for this, so there will be a little modification of the HUD dash pad, I will have to shave the lip off so that it will rest on top of the Cutlass pad.

With respect to picture posting, I have never done it before. Is there a tutorial that explains what I would need to do in order to post images or links to images? Thanks. Perhaps if someone provides me some help with image posting, I can get a couple of digital photos up for people to see.

I am surprised that we have not heard from someone with a 95-97 Cutlass who has added HUD. I was hoping that I wouldn't be the first to try it from the standpoint of cutting into the dash. I am also unsure if the Cutlass dash has the mounting points for the HUD projector as I have not taken out the Cutlass dash pad that has the defrost vents to see if the mounting points exist there.

Anyway, if someone cares the chime in with any information, warnings, etc. I will be grateful for the help.

Since I plan on doing the same thing, I have already checked. There is no mounting positon for the HUD.

In fact, the dash has been redesigned from the original plan, as the HUD prototype used in the 95 CS owners manual has the same curvature between the dash and the pad above the cluster as the gp dash has. And the 94+ GP dash has this same curvature whether or not it has a HUD!

I think I finally have found an outlet to post a photo or two.

I have built a cardomain page. If I can figure it all out, I will use cardomain to host the photos, therefore I can put up the picture of the "Harness" that has been requested.

I will try to have it up by tomorrow, the digital camera I have access to works much better in daylight.

Anyway, I pulled the harness out of that hole at the drivers end of the dash and connected the HUD and HUD controls and it lit up and the position control worked also.

I know that the dash pad does not match the curvature between the dash and the dash pad. However, I pulled the Cutlass dash pad and looked carefully at where the HUD unit would go. Where the dash meets the windshield, the layout is identical to the GP, only thing required is to drill holes for the mounting screws.

I even looked under the dash and it appears the "foundation" for where the unit sits is also there. What is in the way is the dash itself. This is where carefull cutting would be required and also the slight modification of the GP dash pad as I mentioned earlier.

This is what I have put together so far. I was hoping that someone has already completed this and could share some fine points about their experience with it.

If no one has actually put a 94-96 GP HUD into a 95+ Cutlass, then I will have to move forward "VERY" slowly and modify the dash to accept the HUD unit.

I was excited when I just plugged things in and it lit up.

Also, about the connectors found in the dash, I can now confirm that 2 are for the HUD - one for the HUD projector and one for the HUD controls. The third is just a small grey connector. I have no idea what it would be for.

Can someone with a DIC in a 94-96 GP tell me what the connector looks like for the DIC (how many pins, description of connector, etc)before I buy something that may not fit into my Cutlass' wiring. Thanks

Still hoping for input from other members. Thanks in advance for whatever information you can share.

[/img]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/466000-466999/466769_4_full.jpg', 575, 461)[/img]

I have attempted to post a photo, I have failed, can someone help me with this?? Thanks in advance.

UMMM how many wires on the extra plug? remember that the car could also have a HUD english/metric switch, which would be a six pin connector. The eng/met switch would be located below the headlight switch:

Picture081.jpg

thats actually a pic of my second gear start switch. I would install a eng/met switch beside it if I can find one and have the HUD working.

hey, can you put up pics of your HUD unit itself?

and may i recommend for photo hosting:

http://www.photobucket.com

Crazy K

I will take some photos on Saturday morning and post them on my Cardomain or on photobucket. Either way I will include a link on my next post.

The english / metric switch makes sense, it would be different and also a benefit if I ever visit Canada (kph vs. mph). If you ever find one let me know. Also, if you are fortunate enough to find a second, I would be interested in trying it.

As promised, I will try to post the following photos tomorrow (Saturday 2/4/06)

The elusive harness showing all three connectors

A photo of the HUD unit I intend to install

and perhaps something else, if I think of anything.

Thanks for the input, it is good to bounce these ideas around.

Yes, that is my car. I am enjoying it very much.

I am going to try posting a photo again, this time from photobucket as you suggested.I hope it works.

DSCF0041.jpg

And based on the preview, I finally have success.

Tomorrow, I will post photos of all we have been talking about.

Talk to you then.

My CS vert is better! It is pure unadultered evil! I guess I should name it's tortured Black body with its shreaded skeletal top Grendel, and my white CS Beowulf. Only this time Grendel will be the victor. :lol:

drop them pics, asap.

and a tip... hit preview to see if your pics work when you post.