Alternator Overdrive Pully

92LuminaRS

I got the pulley in today from Summit. I haven't even installed it and I'm already pleased with my order. Check out all the cool stuff that came with it! Not only did I get a catalog, but I got a bag full of cool things (software, cupons, stickers) and a kickass hat! I have to say again I'm very pleased and cannot wait get the pulley on the car.

hpim09144ij.jpg

Ok, so I went to install the pulley, and it's the wrong size! I called Summit and they told me that the retarded manufacturer put the wrong pulley in the wrong box, so what I ended up getting was a 2 1/8" pulley (the size that is already on the alternator) instead of the one that I ordered. The good part is that I'm getting a FULL refund adn getting to keep all the extra stuff....

The bad part? Well I'm still stuck with the same god damn pulley that's on there and need to find an overdrive pulley.... This pulley WOULD be good for someone with a stock alternator becuase it IS smaller than the factory sized one, but since I have the hi-amp alternator, it already comes with a 2 1/8" pulley :(

Does anyone know where I can get a really small one like 1 1/4"?

Well the pulley on there now is 2 1/8" So I'm looking to go down a few steps further. The car stays around 1500RPM unless I'm on the highway it's around 2k. Something more reasonable would be 1 1/2" but If I can find a company that carries a 1 1/4" pulley thay might have a wider selection.

I doubt anyone carries one that small. The belt would likely slip anyways due to how hard it would be to spin the alternator with that size pulley on it.

Your car is gonna run like shit at idle with a 1 1/4" pulley, way too much load on the engine. Either that or the voltage regulator will cut alternator output off and it won't charge at all and your pulley will be pointless.

If the car stays at 1500rpm, your alt should have no problem putting out full voltage at all. My 105A alt in my STE puts out 133A at 2000rpms and I have an UD pulley....

Shawn

why not just go to the parts store and compare the alts from a w and a retta?

i don't remember which board it was, but one of the beretta or small chevy forums i used to belong to said the retta's pulley was smaller.

i don't know how much, but it might be enough

I'm going to have to check into that tomorrow, after I readyour post I thought to myself "Hey, there is an alternator shop 10 miles from here".

Than I smacked myself in the face with a 1/2" ratchet

if you put a 1 1/4" on there is will burn up the alternator WAY too quickly. I'd just get the 1 7/8" to be comfortable. Yes, at idle the smaller pulley will give you the amps that you need. However, at higher engine speeds the extra current is not needed and is blocked by the regulator in the alternator. If you put too much strain on this it will burn up quicker.

if you put a 1 1/4" on there is will burn up the alternator WAY too quickly. I'd just get the 1 7/8" to be comfortable. Yes, at idle the smaller pulley will give you the amps that you need. However, at higher engine speeds the extra current is not needed and is blocked by the regulator in the alternator. If you put too much strain on this it will burn up quicker.

Ditto. It will definately burn up you alt. which being a high output wouldn't be too cheap.... And I still don't understand what you need all this power for anyways....

Shawn

I totally understand... I figured since the pulley on there is 2 1/8" taking it down that much would help, but I never thought of the 6k burnouts I like to do at stoplights :lol:

1 7/8" really wouldnt do much of anything though beucause it's such a small difference. I went and talked to a guy at an alternator shop today and he said I should look for something in the 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" range.... Haven't found anything yet :(

i don't remember which board it was, but one of the beretta or small chevy forums i used to belong to said the retta's pulley was smaller.

I'm thinking it's more of a 2.8 thing to have the smaller pulley. Both 2.8's I've owned had a smaller pulley than any of the 3.1's I've seen.

hey, you might even be able to go to a local auto parts shop as well, if not that alt. shop.

IN the back of O'Reilly, i know we have like a dozen left over pulleys. People bring in Alt's that don't have the same pulley as the one we've got in stock, so we swap it for them, and keep the old one, so i know we've got like 12-15 back there, and it'd give a shot to check'em out.

Went to all the local autoparts shop, after about a 10 minute discussion explaining to them the situation, the last shop I went to sent me to this sketchy auto repair shop. He sold me a 1 3/4" pulley from a Ford and said I just needed a washer and it would bolt right up (he showed me on a spare alt he had from a 3.1). I just now have to get the proper sized socket and take that bitch off.