Alternator Overdrive Pully

92LuminaRS

I'm looking for an overdrive pully for my alternator. I have the first gen 3.1 engine and a high output alternator. I just need more amps at idle than I'm getting. I'm looking for the smallest pully possible and something cheap too :wink:

wouldnt that possible overcharge or burnt out the alt quicker

No, that's what the regualtor is for ;)

I contacted the manufacturer and they actually told me to put on a smaller OD pully on there for more output at idle. I just cant find one anywhere. I'm not sure of the size its the stock size pully

wouldnt that possible overcharge or burnt out the alt quicker

No, that's what the regualtor is for ;)

I contacted the manufacturer and they actually told me to put on a smaller OD pully on there for more output at idle. I just cant find one anywhere. I'm not sure of the size its the stock size pully

:lol: true d'oh

ty for the link, I checkd it out

Is it just me or does $60 (not shipped) for only a 10% overdrive pulley seem a little 'excesive'?

EDIT: I found this, MUCH cheaper! I've seen a 1 1/4" pulley somewhere but now I cannot seem to find it. We have the 4 groove, correct? I haven't really looked under the hood of my car in a while :roll:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/pulley_size.htm

ty for the link, I checkd it out

Is it just me or dowes $60 (not shipped) for only a 10% overdrive pulley seem a little 'excesive'?

EDIT: I found this, MUCH cheaper! I've seen a 1 1/4" pulley somewhere but now I cannot seem to find it. We have the 4 groove, correct? I haven't really looked under the hood of my car in a while :roll:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/pulley_size.htm

if you get them and they work for you, let me know id love to get one for my cutlass.

@ cutty: If it works I'll deff shoot you a PM and tell ya!

@ Crazy K: Thx, I'll have to do that, when I asked it was snowing outside and I didn't have the ambition to get dressed at almost 11:30 and go outside :wink:

@ cutty: If it works I'll deff shoot you a PM and tell ya!

@ Crazy K: Thx, I'll have to do that, when I asked it was snowing outside and I didn't have the ambition to get dressed at almost 11:30 and go outside :wink:

There are definately 6 grooves.

What accessories do you have that you feel you need an overdrive pulley for????? I have an UD pulley on mine and it still works great at idle!?!?

Shawn

What do you think of this guys? (its the first one on the list)

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=400345+1001

Summit's is a 1 3/4" pulley @ $19.49

Alternatorparts.com is a 1 7/8" @ $15.00

Is that slight difference even worth the extra $4.49?

The stock is 2 1/4", I was really hoping for something like 1 1/4" :(

What accessories do you have that you feel you need an overdrive pulley for?????

Too many accessories :wink:

What accessories do you have that you feel you need an overdrive pulley for?????

Too many accessories :wink:

I know you think you have too many accessories, this I realize, what accessories are we talking about here??? My STE is LOADED, and I have a few accessories of my own that I run all the time, and mine is perfectly fine with a 19% UD pulley at idle. What could you be running that you possibly need more power for? How many amp is your alt?

What do you think of this guys? (its the first one on the list)

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=400345+1001

Summit's is a 1 3/4" pulley @ $19.49

Alternatorparts.com is a 1 7/8" @ $15.00

Is that slight difference even worth the extra $4.49?

The stock is 2 1/4", I was really hoping for something like 1 1/4"

Is the slight difference from stock worth the extra $15? I mean, it just depends on how bad you want this pulley. Personally, if I were gonna go with an alternator overdrive pulley, I'd go all out and get the 1 3/4" one, but thats just me. Go big or go home.

Shawn

I know you think you have too many accessories, this I realize, what accessories are we talking about here??? My STE is LOADED, and I have a few accessories of my own that I run all the time, and mine is perfectly fine with a 19% UD pulley at idle. What could you be running that you possibly need more power for? How many amp is your alt?

Yeah, but you also have your stock alternator I'm guessing. I have a 160A high-output alternator so the power curve is different. I dont get shit for amperage output at idle. It charges at like 11v so I need to keep my foot on the gas and the tach up at 2k for it to charge. I'm sick of my headlights dimming and my heat blower spinning down when I let off the gas. And god as soon as you hit the brakes to add on it it the car is like I HATE YOU!!!

What I'm getting at here is that I don't believe the alternator is the real problem. An overdrive pulley might be a band-aid fix. I would check voltage drop across the alternator charge cable, and check battery cables and whatnot. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't going to be fixed with an overdrive pulley.

So maybe you should do some voltage drop checks and things like that before assuming that you need an OD pulley. There is also no reason why a high output alternator would have to rev higher to put out the same amount mine does...it should put out the same amount, but has the capability to put out more if needed. What do you need a 160amp for anyways or two batteries....really...I don't see the need. The only thing I can think of you'd need (or at least think you need) that much power for is hydraulics, but I really can't see someone putting that kind of money into a '92 Lumina. I have a 105amp and like I said my car is loaded, it has every factory option available (except leather) and I also have some extra accessories that I run all the time and with my UD pulley it is just fine. I used to have light dimming problems but cleaning some connections and putting in a good battery fixed all those problems.

Shawn

I have 4g running from the alternator directly to the battery, I have no problems with my stock alaternator when it's hooked up with its power curve, it just does not put out enough power for the accessories and stereo system. A high output alternator does have to rev higher beucase they have a differeny power curve just like an engine. I just didn't think the power curve was all that bad untill I actually installed it in my car. If the manufacturer told me to put an OD pully on it after explaining my problem to them I think I'm jsut going to listen to them and do it beucase if everything is fine when the alternator is spun up and its charging poorly at idle it has to be to be the problem