a/c delete

birdman

I like my AC more than any gains you have by not having it. Does the compressor when off produce all that much more drag than it would with a idle pulley?

But yes, it sounds like it should work, but i would never do it, I like my AC too much.

How about an underdrive pulley instead???

p.s. It is very rare, but they did make some w bodies without AC from the factory.

im not much on ac, plus id like to take as much of the ac system out as possible for weight and room. and no, it dosnt really make drag and i do plan on gettin a ud pulley too.

I dont know if this helps since we have different engines,but when my 91 lumina 3.1 a/c compressor went bad,I took it out of the car.I then bought a new smaller belt from autobones for my car with a/c delete and it works great.Didnt need a bracket or anything.If your engine has an a/c delete option,get the belt for that and remove your a/c compressor.

If this is not doable,please disregard the idea.

:)

You can simply get a shorter belt on the 3.1's (though the bandwagon of people will jump in saying that i'm wrong, yet I ran the car this way for nearly 5 years :roll:), but not on the 3.4's. Not only that, I was under the impression that every LQ1-powered car had A/C no matter what. The 3.4's water pump doesn't get spun without having the A/C compressor in place.

Yeah, no AC here in August would be brutal...back east I never EVER used it...

I agrees with shaun tho...you need the dummy pully in order for that water pump to turn, unless, you want your engine to run hot too... :|

All the AC components removed only weighs in at like 40 lbs. Not a huge weight loss there.

Get the AC delete pulley.

40# less forward of the front wheels of an already nose heavy car helps a ton though.

when i put in the 3400 i made a delete pulley and pulled everything from the condensor to the firewall. if anything you can get a few bux for the condensor at the scrap yard.

That's a lot of hassle to shave 15 pounds, man. Are you stripping the rest of the car's excess weight, too? Because if I were you, I'd take care of things like the spare tire, jack, trunk upholstry, rear bench, interior insulation, etc. before I started unbolting engine components like that.

I love UPS. Shipped monday morning ground and was at my house today at 1pm. Installation very easy. Everything lined up and pulley is correct size just like it says to use factory belt (or shorter belt if you have UD puley as I do, same thing). Crank pulley to belt ratio i shoud say. Anyways, fits great and part of the bracket has two spots to bolt it to the plate that links to the passenger side dogbone on the OHV 60s. The other hole was not used for me which may be used on the DOHCs for additional support. Remember to close up the lines that go into the AC when you install this delete pulley. I used two nickels with adhesive RTV to seal the two holes.