Auto lights stopped working

91GPSTE

So my auto lights stopped working the other day. I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. Pulled the dashboard to check the sensor, pulled it out and shorted the terminals and nothing. Any ideas?

driving lights? Is that what your talking about?

Check for a short, or a worn out connection or connector. Pull fuses, and clean them if they arn't blown. Check ground, make sure the body ground connection isn't worn out by anymeans.

No, I am talking about automatic headlights. You know, there is a sensor on top of the dashboard that turns on the lights when it gets too dark outside.

That might just be a Canadian thing, part of the compulsory-DRL regulation. I don't think US-bound cars had that option.

Twilight Sentinel...

Many Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs had it.

Crazy K might be the best person to answer this question.

All Canadian cars since January of 1990 had it, and all GM's '97(?)+

Twilight Sentinel...

Many Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs had it.

Crazy K might be the best person to answer this question.

All Canadian cars since January of 1990 had it, and all GM's '97(?)+

I wish our cars got it too, I really wouldn't mind it, though I usually run with my lights on all the time, no matter what time of day. It's just a habit.

I am not talking about day time running lights. Those work fine. I am talking about the automatic headlights feature. There is a sensor on top of the dashboard that turns on all of the exterior lightning on automatically when it senses that it's dark outside. It pretty much acts like a headlight switch. I thought all GPs had it.

Guest Anonymous

No, that must be canadian... becuase no early GP's in the US had that (it would be cool if they did)... Even when i was thumbing through my FSM they mentioned the DRL's for canada, but not the automatic headlights... if they are auto, what is in your headlight switch pod???

Guest Anonymous
I don't even believe it was an option in the US Pontiacs except possibly the Bonneville until 1997 or so.

That was standard equipment in the Bonneville in 92+... they have a dial for the intensity of the darkness outside, the "twilight sentinal", which turns on the lights, so they don't have a headlight switch.

It is a Candian ONLY thing....my Lumina has this as well, and it also does not work, expect with mine the lights do not turn off when it's bright outside anymore - I believe my sensor is just dirty but I'm to lazy to clean it out.

If yours aren't coming on anymore, I'd say the module that controls it is fucked, possibily due to cold solder joints. However it will be hard to find info to help fix it because the option was not available in the states.

And it is not on EVERY car in Canada since 1990 - DRL is, but this Twlight Sentinel is not.

I like the feature though....I have never touched my headlight switch, ever lol.

You're just driving along and, "click", all the lights come on for you.

0216_011.jpg

pic of sensor....inserted into the left speaker grille

My switches are the same as any other Lumina, except there is no way to override the auto lights short of pulling the fuse.

I have no clue, and my Haynes manual makes no mention of it either that I can tell....PM pitzel....I dunno if he's on the forums anymore, but he seemed to know a little about how the system works.....that's where I got the "cold solder joints" comment from.

I have the wiring/info for a 94 CS DRL, should be similiar.

It has the sensor in the same general location,

and says the DRL module is located on the support structure for the brake pedal, and has 12 wires atttached to it.

Does the car still have working DRL, seperate of the parking lights? (if it did)

question.... DRLs only work when it is light outside, and then the rest of the lights turn on when it gets dark? right?

I read the troubleshooting section of my manual new and thats what it says should happen..

So I ask... are the DRL working at night when they are not supposed to?

hmmm a 94 CS I stipped of it's HUD had the sensor on the dash, although it is recessed beneath the speaker grill on the CS.

I believe these cars would have the same module. look around beneath the dash on the stucture for the brake pedal, again...

Its called a photocell, it accually uses light to change the resistance in a circut. The more light there is, the more resitance, and it closed of the circut. The less light, the less resistance, and it opens the circut.

For this, get a book, or something to totally black out the said area of the photocell. Also grab a flashlight. Get a voltmeter to measure the resitance coming out of the photocell with the light on it, and with the book covering it completely.

You may need to find out the parameters for voltage in this circut, but if it doesn't cary very much, then you prolly have a bad photocell. Radio Sack accually carried these, and they are very simple to replace.

I am not talking about day time running lights. Those work fine. I am talking about the automatic headlights feature. There is a sensor on top of the dashboard that turns on all of the exterior lightning on automatically when it senses that it's dark outside. It pretty much acts like a headlight switch. I thought all GPs had it.

They're part of the DRLs. It's just called "night mode."

For any and all future reference, I'm just going to type the whole section up. Keep in mind it's from the Cutlass manual but same shit.

CIRCUIT OPERATION

The daytime Running Lights (DRL) Module is designed to automatically operate certain lights depending on outside light conditions. The DRL Module operates in two modes. In the Day Mode' date=' the LO Beam Headlights are lit at reduced brilliance. In the Night Mode, the LO Beam Headlights are lit at full brilliance and the fronr marker, park and tail lights are lit.

When the DRL Module is in the Day Mode, the Day Mode contacts close applying voltage to the Diode Assembly and the LO Beam Headlights. The Diode Assembly reduces the voltage applied to the Headlights, thus reducing the brilliance of the Headlights.

When the photoresistor senses darkness, the DRL Module operates in the Night Mode. The Night Mode contacts close, applying voltage to the Headlights and other exterior lights through the same circuit path as when the Light Switch is in HEAD.

If the engine should stall with the DRL Module in Night Mode, the DRL Module will turn off the Headlights and leave the marker, park and tail lights lit while the engine is being cranked.

[b']PHOTORESISTOR INPUT[/b]

The photoresistor is a light sensitive variable resistor. Its resistance decrease as outside light intensity increase. The DRL Module measures the voltage drop across the photoresistor and determines whether it should operate in the Day mode or Night Mode.

PARK BRAKE INPUT

If the park brake is applied before the ignition swtich is turn to RUN, the DRL Module will not operate any headlights or exterior lights. This allows teh operator to start the vehicle and keep the headlights off, as long as the park brake is applied. This feature allows the operator to turn off the headlights when the ignition switch is in RUN and is intended for use during service, or while parked at a drive-in-theater, etc. When the park brake is released with the ignition switch in RUN, the DRL Module will activate the headlights.

This feature will only function when the park brake is applied before the ignition switch is turned to RUN. If the park brake is applied after the ignition switch is turned to RUN, the headlights will not turn off.

HI BEAM ON INPUT

Sedan

The DRL Module will turn off the LO beam headlights if it senses battery voltage at the HI Beam On Input. This is to prevent the LO Beama nd HI Beam headlights from operating at the same time. The HI Beam ON Input will sense battery voltage when the Flash To Pass feature is operated.

Coupe

The HI Beam On Input operates similar to the Sedan except that the LO Beam Headlights remain on with the HI Beam Headlights. This is due to the Mini-Quad Relay which is energized any time the HI Beam Headlights are ON.

FOG LAMPS

Anytime the Light Switch is in PARK or HEAD or when the DRL Module is operating in the Night Mode, voltage is applied to the Fog Lamp Audio Switch Assembly. When the Fog Lamp Switch is turned to ON, voltage is applied to the Fog Lamp Relay. As long as the Headlight Dimmer Switch is in LO, a ground is provided for the Fog Lamp Relay through the HI Beam filaments and the Fog Lamps come on. When the Headlight Dimmer Switch is moved to HI, battery voltage is at both sides of the Fog Lamp Relay coil and the Fog Lamps go out.

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DRL) MODULE TEST (TABLE 1)

Measure: Voltage

AT: DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DRL) MODULE CONNECTORS C1 AND C2 (Disconnected)

Conditions:

-Ignition Switch: RUN

-Light Switch: OFF

-Park Brake: RELEASED

-Headlight Dimmer Switch: LO

Measure Between ---- Correct Measurement ---- For Diagnosis

C1/D (YEL/BLK) & Ground ---- Battery ---- Check/Repair YEL/BLK (1676) wire for an open or short to ground. If wire is OK' date=' check for poor connection. If OK, replace the Light Switch.

C2/C (PNK/BLK) & Ground ---- Battery ---- Check/repair PNK/BLK (39) wire for an open or short to ground

C2/F (PNK/BLK) & Ground ---- Battery ---- Check/repair PNK/WHT (750) wire for an open or short to ground

C2/D (TAN/WHT) & Ground ---- Battery ---- See Brake Warning system

C2/F (PNK/BLK) & C2/A (BLK) ---- Battery ---- Check/repair BLK (150) wire for open

C2/F (PNK/BLK) & C2/E (LT BLU) ---- 0 Volts ---- See Brake Warning System

C1/A (ORN) & Ground ---- Battery ---- Check/repair ORN (240) wire for open

[b']-Park Brake: APPLIED[/b]

C2/F (PNK/BLK) & C2/E (LT BLU) ---- Battery ---- See Brake Warning System

-Light Switch: HEAD

C1/D (YEL/BLK) & Ground ---- 0 volts ----- Check YEL/BLK (1676) wire for short to voltage, If wire is OK, check for a poor connection. If OK, replace the Light Switch.

C1/H (BRN) & Ground ---- Battery ---- Check/repair BRN (9) wire for an open between S204 and the DRL Module

C1/F (YEL) & Ground ---- Battery ---- Check/repair YEL (10) wire for an open between S221 and the DRL Module

-Headlight Dimmer Switch: HI

C1/B (LT GRN) & Ground ---- Battery ---- Check/repair LT GRN (11) wire for an open between S219 and the DRL Module

-Measure resistance while exposing the Photoresistor to bright incandescent light then covering it with cardboard

C2/G (YEL/BLK) & C2/H (LT GRN/BLK) ---- Varies from 1K ohms (Bright Lights) to 100K ohms (covered) ---- Reconnect DRL Module and go to Table 2.

-If all measurements are correct, check for a poor connection. If OK, replace DRL Module.

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DRL) MODULE TEST (TABLE 2)

Measure: VOLTAGE

At: PHOTORESISTOR CONNECTOR (Disconnected)

Condition:

-Ignition Switch: RUN

Measure Between ---- Correct Measurement ---- For Diagnosis

1137 (LT GRN/BLK) & Ground ---- 5 volts ---- Check/Repair LT GRN/BLK (1137) wire for an open or short to ground

1137 (LT GRN/BLK) & 1138 (YEL/BLK) ---- 5 volts ---- Check/repair YEL/BLK (1138) wire for an open

If all voltages are correct, check for a bad connection. If OK, replace the Photoresistor.

There's also a diode assembly test listed, but I would say it's almost definetly an internal problem ithe DRL Module. I realize those tests are really any good without knowing which circuits/wires/connectors are which, but I was bored and didn't feel like fucking with the scanner...

As someone said, the module (and diode assembly) are located on the brake pedal support.

• 2 weeks later...

I went under the dash today but I can't find the module. Anyone have a picture of it or what it looks like. In fact, there isn't anything that even resembles a module. I started unplugging all the shit under there and turning on the ignition to see if the DRLs would come on and the only time they turned off was when I disconnected the big ass plug containing all the wires. All the other electronics stopped working too though so I am guessing it is just some kind of connector.