Dexcool Coolant

supreme_style21

Has anyone heard anything BAD about that Dexcool Coolant? I thought I heard somewhere that it was pretty tough on gaskets.. but I'm not entirely sure...

I know it's not as tough on the gaskets when it gets old. I also know it doesnt cool quite as well as the "green" stuff. They rate it for 100 or 150 thousand miles, but I doubt its gonna last that long.

If anything, it should be better on head gaskets because they're a composite aluminum material, and Dex-cool is optimized to protect aluminum.

It should cool the same because it's ethylene glycol, just like the green stuff. Just a different additive package.

I've heard it gets sludgy and seeps out. I've never seen it get sludgy, and I suspect on cars where it got that way, sealing pellets were added (which GM recommends, but I never use them). On a car where sealing pellets were never used, I've never seen it get sludgy. On my '89, it did seep out around where the hose is attached to the t-stat housing, but it's all dried up.

I'm a technician at shop in Illinois and the only gaskets i've seen go out on vehicles that use this coolant are all of the GM vortec motors(bad intake manifold design) . I've been using this coolant for two years and have not had a problem yet. If you do plan on switching over, just make sure you flush the system out completely and run a cleaner through the system. The dex-cool coolant is expensive but its worth it. You dont get the corrosion like you do with the green stuff. :) :) :)