Turn signal not blinking

lazytik

Hello everyone,

First, yes, I searched. :D My turn signals stop blinking randomly. When this happens, the turn signal just stays on. To correct it, I manually flip the stalk up and down.

What could be wrong? This has happened before, but now its more on a permanent basis. Any suggestions?

P.S. I had fun pretending to be in an upscale European car today. I just left my turn signal on, and it looked like one of those BMW rear-fogs lol....

Thanks!

Hmmm, I have never heard of that happening. That's a weird problem. :?

havent been here long enough then, 1.5 Gen cars have this fucked up thing where the turn signal stalk goes bad and u gotta replace it, Discostudd is the master

First off if it's one side, check the bulbs in that side. If one is burnt out, it may cause it not to blink. If a bulb or connection is corroded, that can also do it.

And it's true, our switches do wear out after about ~120k

I replaced mine when I bought my car, cause it was worn out.

Discostudd has an excellent writeup on how to do it.

Or perhaps the cheapest start.. a flasher.

not if it only flashes on one side, unless the other side is real lethargic.

According to the way I personally understood his post, it seems to be both sides.

And if the signal switch inside the column is bad, as most posted, it won't make contact and it won't do anything... light up, nothing. They are bad because they don't make contact... no contact, no signals. If they made contact, they'd blink or stay on steadily, at which point, something else is to blame.

And if the signal switch inside the column is bad, as most posted, it won't make contact and it won't do anything... light up, nothing. They are bad because they don't make contact... no contact, no signals. If they made contact, they'd blink or stay on steadily, at which point, something else is to blame.

Mine was bad but it was only the left side that didn't work properly. I could "manually" make it flash. Although I can't remember if it came on solid when it was down, or if I had to lift it up a little bit...

no... I have seem them have functionallity issues with intermittant operation. Usually caused by dirty contacts... but if both sides have the problem, and all the exterior bulbs are working, then try a flasher. if that is a no go, then try the switch.

What year is your car, lazytik?

You might also want to check out your brake lights. Check to see if only the CHMSL (3rd brake light) lights up when you step on the brake pedal. If the CHMSL lights up but the left & right brake lights don't, then the signal switch is definitely shot.

When the TSS went out on my old Loomie, I had the problem with both the brake lights and the left signal not working. The left signal would make a fast clicking noise, kinda like the flasher was trying to engage but there wasn't enough voltage passing through it (it didn't light up, either.) If you held the lever in a certain position, you could get the signal to flash.

But getting back to basics here, I say you should check every lamp on the left side of the car. Make double sure that you replace any burned out lamp with one of the exact same bulb number. Installing a lamp that looks "close enough" can and will cause mysterious "electrical gremlins" to pop up.

Finally, check out http://www.likeabigdog.com/column/94upsignal.htm . It should answer most of your questions and point you in the right direction if you have a 94+ 1st Gen...

Sorry for not replying earlier guys,

My car is a 94. Both sides are frozen, but ALL bulbs work, including the third brake light.

I will definitely look at that write-up DiscoStudd, really appreciate it.

I am planning on fixing stuff in my car tomorrow (it just seems to pile up :shock: ), so I will let you guys know what happened...

Again, thanks so much for your help...when/if i sell my car, i will definitely hand over a piece of paper with the words "w-body.com FOR YOUR NEEDS!!!" along with the title.

Sooo...yea, checked out the write-up, lol...here is how I answered these questions:

-- Will your Center High-Mount Stop Light (CHMSL) illuminate when you depress the brake pedal, but the lower/outer lights will not? ALL LIGHTS LIGHT UP

-- Do you have to hold the signal lever in a certain spot to get the turn signals to flash?

NOPE

-- Will the signals work in one direction, but not the other? THEY (don't) WORK IN BOTH DIRECTIONS...

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this write-up is not for me lol, since I did not answer "yes" to any of those questions. :mrgreen:

What could be wrong with the flasher? Just need a new one? Is there a part in the switch column itself which makes the contact go "click, click, click"?

That write-up is good, but a lot of work for a mechanically inept guy like me.. so, if the problem is not one of those easy types to fix, I will not attempt it, but rather use my finger to manually make the lights blink lol

me so lazy.

I'm about to show up on your doorstep and clobber you!!!! But I don't know where you live.... ROTFL

It could still be the turn signal switch... If the flasher does not fix it.

pull the lower pad clear and find the flasher.

Read this thread it has pics to help you find it.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36564&highlight=flasher+location

clobber me? why? 8)

yep, thanks again. I will try the flasher..if not then...left hand will have one more thing to do while driving.

Seriously, I would fix everything in this car (spent a lot of money so far on it)...but I'm running out of money and I have no time to fix stuff...

where you located? an experienced member in you area might be able to help! I would do the same if you were close by... it's about a 20 minute job for me, if there are no hitches.... and the tools you need can be rented(loaners) from autozone.

Wait...so you wanna clobber me, but you don't know where I am located...THEN, you ask where I am located...I'm not falling for that one lol... :bash: =/= me!

Im in NJ, Princeton/Somerset area. I'll try it tomorrow, see what happens.

Oh, or I can go to my mechanic, who will probably do it for free anyway :mrgreen:

Replace the flasher, then.

flasher.jpg

See where the brake pedal hangs down? That metal canister is the flasher. IIRC, the flasher on my Regal was on the left side of the steering column up on the firewall, but regardless, it's up under the dash in that general area.

A new mechanical flasher shouldn't set you back more than a couple of bucks. The electronic flashers cost around $10 to $15 but will last longer and are more reliable in cold weather (the blinkers won't flash "slow" in cold weather like with a mechanical flasher...)

Yep, I did change the flasher. Actually, I just got done changing it and rushed in to type this.

Cost me 8.99, "industrial strength". It blinks at a normal rate too, earlier, it was slow as hell.

BTW, I had fun doing it. I was upside down, under my dash (I know, didn't have to be, but I wanted to see). It was like another world down there. So cool...I think when I'm bored, I'll check out the underside of my car.

Thanks guys...another problem solved!

glad to hear it!!!

is that an electronic flasher?

The only thing I should mention, is that the factory flasher is supposed to not work if one bulb burns out, to warn you of a problem. An industrial one may not, meaning you should do a periodic walk-around to inspect and make sure all lights are working.

Cool!

Nope, still mechanical.

Yes, I read the warning on the package. The bulbs won't blink faster, so everytime I check my oil (like..every 2 weeks), I will check my bulbs too.