Electrical Problem

jpdm

Hello,

I just found this forum and I hope that someone can help me out. For the past few weeks I’ve noticed power surges. I have a 94 cutlass supreme with a 3.4 and the one of the gauges is a battery gauge (this is how I know I’m getting these power surges). I've had my alternator and battery checked and they are both fine.

As soon as I start the car I get a voltage reading of 12 - 13 but as I continue to drive it dips down to about 9 - 10 and stays there. When I use my turn signals I can see the voltage reading surge up and down, I also notice that my headlights are dimmer than usual.

If any one has experienced this before or has any suggestions as to what I can check or what might be wrong please let me know

Thanks

sounds like you got a power leak somewhere. Or, do you have a system or anything that would be drawing excessive amounts of power? Either way, it sounds like a power leak somewhere, I have never had one, so wait til others who have read this. BTW, welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it.

Robby

um that turn signal thing is normal, at least it seems it. my 89 did it and it wasnt really surging, the guage just fluctuated with each flash but nothing else was affected. i actually just thought it was amusing

regulator in the alternator, or diodes, or your battery is starting to go and is killing yur alternator you say when it first starts its ok, then it gets bad, i bet your alternator is fucked and its fine in a test but get them to test it longer so it heats up, just get a new one , and a battery too

Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna check the power cables tomorrow. I had my transmission rebuilt a few weeks back and the mechanic probably screwed one of the connections (I hope). If thats not it then i'll get another check done on the alt and bat.

thanks again guys.

Yeah, needle on my gauge fluctuates with the turn signal too. I've never thought to much about since my dad's 94' T-Bird does the same thing. I replaced the alternator about 3 years ago when I got the car. The gauge did that before and after I replaced it. I just figure that since these first gen GP's use fog light bulb for front turn signals, it causes and excessive power drain. God I really hate paying 7 bucks for a turn signal bulb though, :) !