vats key blanks

stockgp

discostudd's write up on bypassing the vats system mentions key blanks for new keys.

the ones mentioned are ilco brand, and they need to be modified a bit to get them to fit the ignition switch.

well i found an alternative. for any of you around the pittsburgh area, busy beaver carries the necessary blanks

for those of you not in the pittsburgh area, find a place that carries axxess brand keys. blank number 4 is the right one.

the head isn't rectangular like the gm keys, but it fits with no modification whatsoever.

Any pics? If you can find out who makes them, as Bill Lumbergh would say: "That would be greaaaaaaaat!"

Keep me posted and I'll add the info to my write-up...

Any pics? If you can find out who makes them, as Bill Lumbergh would say: "That would be greaaaaaaaat!"

Keep me posted and I'll add the info to my write-up...

find a place that carries axxess brand keys. blank number 4 is the right one.

:thumbsup:

Aah, I see. I actually had a few of those back in the day. Those were the "Wal-Mart" keys that worked in damn near every old GM I've owned. Having the extra piece hang over the end was kinda annoying :lol: .

AXXESS = Wal-Mart, totally forgot that connection! I've been getting my keys cut at my local Chevy dealership for years now (you could say I have a fetish for having genuine "GM" keys :lol: )

Wally World had 'em 10+ years ago and that's all I remember them having. They've probably came out with their own brand in the ensuing years, then :shrug: . I wouldn't know though, since I haven't had a key made there in over 10 years...

this is the animal right here. key blank number 4

vatsblank.jpg

UGH. I got one of those damn things when I got a dupe made of my old GP's key. It was SO HARD to start the car with that fucking weak-ass key head. My fingers actually hurt, until I started using the actual key-chain to turn it with.

um, i just use the tabs on the the ignition switch. i'm pretty sure that's what they are there for :lol:

My OLD GP, the '89. They have the huge headed keys that are really wide in lieu of tabs. There aren't any tabs on the IGN switch. How stupid do you think I am? :lol: :lol:

This is what the "normal" GM key looks like trimmed down compared to the VATS key (the shaded area is where the head of the key was before trimming) :

trimkey2.jpg

The Axxess key is longer, thus you could trim it into the shape of the original VATS key.

Kevin,

Yeah you know what? I came up w/that info actually not too long after I submitted my photo (posted above) about modifying ILCO keyblanks. I actually wound up having some of the Axxess keyblanks here and didn't make the connection :oops: And then I wound up totally forgetting about it. My bad. Thanks though stockgp for finding this out. Now that I'm looking at these again, these are a perfect alternative, so long as you don't mind the irritating head shape. Ironically, that Axxess keyblank is the same for my Trans Am - you woulda thought I'd remember to email you that. Again, my bad, and good job stockgp! :wink:

In addendum, I haven't actually tried this. But looking at the blank, it almost appears that these too would hit the face of the ignition lock. If I still have extras, I'll make one for my Z34 and see that it works for all cases. Not discrediting Stockgp, just verifying.