temp gauge prob

TheAX40

got a 94 grand prix 4 door and the temp gauge will go all the way up and the temp light comes on when the car is running as normal. also i was just driving in cold weather and it started to "overheat", all the lights got dim and noises started comin out from behind the temp controls on the dash. i turned the heat off and it went back to normal. i dont know alot about cars but is there somethin wrong with the heater coil?

and i always check the fulids so low fluids isnt the problem

No idea,very weird thing you got going there.Can you say for sure youre not overheating at all when the dash does this? What kind of noise are you hearing from behind the controls?Is it a bubbling sound or something else.

Just trying to get ideas.When the gauge says overheat is the top radiator hose cold or hot?What about the other hoses?Is the fan on trying to cool the rad down?

I had the guages sensor wire melt and ground against the egr tube. It would snap peeged really quickly...

I have seen these sensors go bad on occasion, I would replace it. It is located on the rear head, on driver side corner.

I'd be more willing to bet that it is air in the system, Bleed your system and then also pull your dash pad off and make sure that you dont have any burnt or corroded wires.