So my car is in the shop **update**

jdcutty

I decided to put my car in the shop to have the alternator and the timing belt replaced before my warranty runs out. I had about 350 miles left before it expired. The total repair with parts and labor came to just about a grand. The warranty company is covering all but $410 of it. Just thought I would like to share the deal that I got on this work.

I know I will prolly get some shit about not doing it myself, but I dont have a heated garage or the proper tools to do the timing belt. That, and Im lazy, so I will fork out the money for it.

And for now I am driving the a 95 Ford Tore-ass that has officially left me stranded with a dead battery 7 times. Cant wait till i get the cutty back.

Join the club, my Cavalier is at the shop, it needs a fuel pump. Running me at 300 Canadian. :?
Really? What year? I changed out the FP in my 93 Crapalier myself in less than 2 hours (in my driveway in 40* weather.) It was easy as shit in that car!

It's just a fact of life that the late 80's/early 90's GM CS-130 alternators don't last very long. Their poor case design causes them to overheat, and coupled with their tiny sealed bearing assemblies, the bearings can (and do) get cooked rather easily. If the bearings manage to hold on, then you have to worry about the excessive heat killing off the voltage regulator...

my CS-130 has been in two different cars and well over 50k and its still going strong after 2 years. :shrug:

$410 is a good price considering you essentially paid the cost of parts.

Join the club, my Cavalier is at the shop, it needs a fuel pump. Running me at 300 Canadian. :?
Really? What year? I changed out the FP in my 93 Crapalier myself in less than 2 hours (in my driveway in 40* weather.) It was easy as shit in that car!

It's just a fact of life that the late 80's/early 90's GM CS-130 alternators don't last very long. Their poor case design causes them to overheat, and coupled with their tiny sealed bearing assemblies, the bearings can (and do) get cooked rather easily. If the bearings manage to hold on, then you have to worry about the excessive heat killing off the voltage regulator...

It's a 1990 and apparently the fuel pump is INSIDE the tank. I don't know if I really wanna tackle this myself. So, I took it to my Chevrolet dealer and they quoted me 2 hours of $78.50 hourly rate IF everything goes well and they don't break other shit. The pump itself was $135.00. So, yeah it will be around 300 or more. These are Canadian prices too.

My car is a 94 cutty, DOHC with about 170748 miles on it. Dont know how long since the timing belt has been changed, so i figured I would do that. And the alternator was bad persay, but it was taken a pretty good beating over the last year, so I wanted to have it replaced before my warranty expired.

And, no it is not the factory warranty, It was from Eagle Warranty Company, sold at many used car dealers.

It's a 1990 and apparently the fuel pump is INSIDE the tank. I don't know if I really wanna tackle this myself.
Yep, damn skippy it's in the tank. It isn't hard to change out at all. I was a little "afraid" to do it myslef at first, but after I jumped in with both feet, found it to be very straightforward. All you need to do is empty the tank (if it isn't already - that was the hardest part :lol: ) and disconnect the filler neck, then put a jack with a block of wood on the "ram" squarely in the middle of the tank, jack it up so it's snug against the tank, unbolt and remove the straps, lower the jack, disconnect the fuel lines and electrical connector, and slide the tank out.

I only bought the pump, and not the whole assembly that included the float for the fuel gauge. The pump itself was all that needed replacing anyway, so I saved 70-80 bucks over buying the whole assembly (IIRC, the pump was $69.) Took around 15 minutes to remove the assy from the tank, swap the pump out, and reinstall it in the tank.

cavfp1.jpg

You can see that the assembly is held in place by a giant snap ring. Remove the snap ring and the assy comes right out.

cavfp2.jpg

Pull off the little "sock" on the bottom, and remove that plastic cover and there's the pump itself. Disconnect a couple of hoses and an electrical connector and it slides right out...

ahh, i did that on the blazer (had the tank of like 4 times trying to figure something out), wasnt hard at all, but it is a little harder with gas in (mostly to get it back on) :bash:

So, I took it to my Chevrolet dealer and they quoted me 2 hours of $78.50 hourly rate IF everything goes well and they don't break other shit. The pump itself was $135.00. So, yeah it will be around 300 or more. These are Canadian prices too.

Damn! That's too much! I took mine to the junkyard and got a used tank for $60 + $80 labour= $150 CAD total! That does involve removing the pump and everything too...

Ok, so I am going to steal my thread back now......

Pick the cutlass up today after having the alternator and timing belt replaced, and my car now officially runs like shit. It has a serious miss that wasn't there when I dropped it off. Now, I am not sure if it is a plug/wire or if they didn't time it correctly. Lookin for some advice on what I should do.

My haunch would be they didn't set the timing marks in the correct position when they installed the new timing belt. Did it run like ass when you drove away from the shop?

My haunch would be they didn't set the timing marks in the correct position when they installed the new timing belt. Did it run like ass when you drove away from the shop?

Yep. He said that the old one was off one tooth, but it ran fine despite being badly worn. I will have them retime it tomarrow and see if that helps.

So, I took it to my Chevrolet dealer and they quoted me 2 hours of $78.50 hourly rate IF everything goes well and they don't break other shit. The pump itself was $135.00. So, yeah it will be around 300 or more. These are Canadian prices too.

Damn! That's too much! I took mine to the junkyard and got a used tank for $60 + $80 labour= $150 CAD total! That does involve removing the pump and everything too...

Well I am right fucking pissed because that wasn't my hesitation problem at all. SO, I had them change the PCV valve for another $190.00, 2 hours labour, $7 for the valve itself, and 2 dollars for the o-ring. And guess what? IT STILL ISN'T FIXED. :verymad: Altogether that's 490.00 and I still have problems.

Well I am right fucking pissed because that wasn't my hesitation problem at all. SO, I had them change the PCV valve for another $190.00, 2 hours labour, $7 for the valve itself, and 2 dollars for the o-ring. And guess what? IT STILL ISN'T FIXED. :verymad: Altogether that's 490.00 and I still have problems.

You had them change the PCV valve for $190 CAD. You got raped, with no lube.