Revving the Engine around 4000 rpm.

Slade901

In general, does an engine hesitates when your rev the engine around 4000 rpms or above 4000 rpms while the transmission is on Park?

I have noticed this on my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.1L V6 as well as (1999 Ford Taurus, 2000 Ford Taurus, 2005 Ford Taurus) that I have tested.

To my recollection, I have not noticed this hesitation around 4000 rpms on our 1994 Pontiac Grand AM 2.4L Quad 4 (currently I'm replacing the intake gasket on this engine as well as the Oil/Air Separator).

Thanks,

Slade901

Thank God for the rev limiter!!!! When I was putting my intake back together, I was rushing and forgot to tighten the bolts to the throttlebody=massive air leak. I fired it up and BAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA!!!! at 4k.... needless to say if it was redlining it could have toasted it.

Thank God for the rev limiter!!!! When I was putting my intake back together, I was rushing and forgot to tighten the bolts to the throttlebody=massive air leak. I fired it up and BAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA!!!! at 4k.... needless to say if it was redlining it could have toasted it.

Betcha that made your heart jump for a second. :lol:

In neutral mine will rev out at 6k....but in park is 4k

I think the early 3.1's are different from the later engines. I know the later models have the limiter in both Park and Neutral. However, mine is the opposite of yours. I can rev it to redline in Park, but only 4,000 in Neutral.

my 89 regal w/ 3.1 cuts out at 3800 RPM in neutral or park. And i dont think that my 88 had a rev limiter in it, cause i've brought it well passed 4000 in neutral and park. :?