De-pinning a harness

z34_nut

I need to de-pin one wire out of my new connector and move it to a different slot. (this is a harness for my dash on my z34). I've personally never de-pinned one, but how can I do this w/o any serious problems.

Is it as simple as take out, and push it? Help is appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

what are you trying to do? The snaps are on the other side of the harness (the opposite from the wires), look into the cavities and you will see a microscoptc cilp.

I need to de-pin one wire out of my new connector and move it to a different slot. (this is a harness for my dash on my z34). I've personally never de-pinned one, but how can I do this w/o any serious problems.

Is it as simple as take out, and push it? Help is appreciated.

What are you working on???

there are a few differnt method that must be used... depending on the clip...

any clip that has a retainer(such as cluster) must have the retainer removed first before you can continue to removing the connector's pin.

the radio clips have a detent built into the connector. it appears to be a little ridge on one side of the connector above each connector. you must pry it up at the radio side of the connector with a pin.

this is the step where the needle comes in, you have to carefully insert it into the connector and depress the springy clip, and the connector will slie out of the back. When you are ready to reinstall you need to make sure the spring on the clip is angled out to catch. (I often have to bend them out, slightly.

My best TIP: get a junk connector like the one you are looking at and force a wire out, and you will be able to see where the clip is.

good luck.

p.s. for the life of me, i cannot get the heavy duty pins for the lumina climate control to come out.

I used my old harness to figure it out, it was already stripped of the retainer, so it was pretty easy to figure out from there. I was just trying to figure out how it was locked in. Thanks for the help guys.