2001 Monte gages in a 1996?

SUPERDUTYD

i was in the junkyard the other day and peaked into a 2001 monte carlo. i noticed the gages and they look the same shape as my 1996 monte. the newer ones have full gages so i would love to put those in mine. anybody know if these would fit? i know the odometer won't work cause it's digital but i wonder if the two clusters could be modified and combined to work in a 96. does the computer feed the info to all the gages or are there sensors? i think i will go back to the junk yard and get some closer measurements.

I'm sure with a little "massaging" you could get it to fit. I've seen people put Z28 clusters in Caprices and Impala SS's, so it's not that strange an idea. The "Info Center" gets its data from the ClassII Serial line, so you'd need to run a wire from the cluster to the PCM to tap into the "data bus" so to speak.

While you're at the boneyard, cut out the dash harness from the 01 Monte, and try to find a cluster from a 96 Monte to take the "plug" from so you can make up a custom "plug-n-play" harness for your car.

Not sure if you could find the info on a newer car, but I found the cluster wiring diagrams for my old 85 Grand Am (and the 89 GA from which I got a cluster from) at my local library. Might be a good place to start.

Finally, if you can manage to get this to function, give us the details! I might be interested in dropping a Monte SS cluster in my Regal one day (when I'm running an L67 on OBD-II :wink: ...)

it wont work that easy the whole gauge setup runs off the data 2 line and the computer needs to match it

Yes; the whole thing (except for a few warning lights & illumination) runs off the class 2 serial data line.