Blower Motor Problem: Fan Spinning In Wrong Direction

91GranSport

I installed a brand new blower motor (non-OEM) and it spins in the wrong direction, therefore there is very poor airflow coming out of the vents. How do I change the direction of the blower motor? I can not return the blower motor, so I'm stuck with it. I was thinking of cutting the two wires leading to the blower motor, switching them and then resoldering them. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because right now I'm at a total loss!

Yeah, that's what you have to do. For a more professional approach, try and figure out how to back the wire ends out of the connector, less chance for failure in the future.

you can back the terminals out with a saftey pin, just bend the tabs back in place when you switch them. insert the pin above the connector between the plastic and metal terminal. If the is any corrosion there this is a great time to replace them.

Thanks guys! I tried messing around with the connector, but I was unable to get the wires out of it. They seemed too damn tight. Anyways, I cut the two leads coming from the vehicle leading to the connector, and switched them around. I carefully resoldered them and used heat shrink tubing to protect them. Everything works perfectly now! I tested the new blower motor and compared it to the old one and the airflow is awesome! Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this over the past couple of months. I know it took forever for me to get around to doing this but I don't have a garage and I couldn't do this in -35 deree weather. Thanks again guys!

How do you know which way its supposed to spin? I got one out of a W-body car in a yard and I know it spins good but after I put it in it still doesn't blow as hard as I think it should. Unless someting else is just blocking the air...

hey strangest thing is that in my sisters cougar i replaced the fan and the same thing happened. the fix was changing the wires. the strangest part is the blower was not going the wrong way, just slower. i've never seen a motor that gos the same way regardless of polarity. any ways might help for future refference.