Remote starters

Spoon

I was wondering, if the remote starter module puts out a neg output, say for a trunk, and the trunk needs a neg signal to pop, do you have to use a relay?

Also is there any other reasons you'd use a relay other than to change polarity?

Get ahold of David Hayes. His SN is Hayes Performance Plus

he won't be back around until mid February according to his last posts a couple of weeks ago stating that he was leaving for a month....but when he is around I would definitely steer people to him....

You don't need a relay on a small amperage wire such as the trunk popper. The only time you'd want to use a relay while keeping the same polarity is for a higher amperage ckt, like an extra accessory or ignition wire. Any more questions just ask, I install them at work.

You don't need a relay on a small amperage wire such as the trunk popper. The only time you'd want to use a relay while keeping the same polarity is for a higher amperage ckt, like an extra accessory or ignition wire. Any more questions just ask, I install them at work.

Thanks for the response!

How much is too much amperage? How would you check this? My remote starter for example says "trunk release output ( - )250ma.

Probably the most accurate way would be to use a multimeter with ammeter function and Min/Max hold feature. You'd hook it up in a series with the trunk release wire, then press the button. The multimeter will show the max measured current.

You can also figure it out by measuring DC resistance. Use the ohmmeter function and measure resistance across the trunk solenoid terminals. Then you can use Ohm's Law to find the current by using the equation I=E/R, or Current = Voltage / Resistance. So the current would be 13.8 divided by whatever resistance you measured.

Least accurate way is just to look at the size of the fuse for the trunk solenoid and guestimate that max current may be something like 70% of the fuse rating.

Well, you already said it will withstand 250mA... that's 250 milli Amps, or 0.250 amps (a quarter amp).

What happens if it doesn't say anything? My buddie bought a different brand name and his doesn't say anything.

I wouldn't go hooking stuff up willy nilly :willynilly:, a lot of alarms and remote starters don't have a built-in trunk relay, which is why they're limited to 250mA. It's just a transistor-driven output that if overloaded, can cook the transistor.

I would hook up power to it, and then press the trunk button on the remote and listen for a "click". If the output is negative with no click, chances are it has a transistor driven output that's limited to 250mA, good for only driving a relay. If you hear an audible click, then it has a built-in relay and you can hook it up directly.

Also if you search Google for the brand/model of remote starter, chances are there's a install manual online somewhere.

bulldogsecurity.com has vehicle specific wiring diagrams. tells you wire colors and lock/trunk output type etc.... might be usefull to you. don't buy there remote start though, it sucks.

Bulldog does/did make some really nice high end stuff though, but the sheer crappiness of their cheap stuff hurts their name. A co-worker of mine has a nice bulldog in one of his vehicles and he swears by it.