1996 Service Manual, someone please have it!!

nebojsa_o

I got a 96 Cutlass with the 3100 V6, and my A/C compressor started making grinding noises a couple days ago. :o The clutch driver plate is grinding against the pulley. So I got a new clutch off a J/Y car, and put it on. It stopped making noises :D , but when I turn A/C on, the clutch doesn't come closer to the pulley and the A/C doesn't turn on. :( I need to know how close to the pulley does the clutch have to be in order for the magnets to work properly. If anyone has a 96 Lumina or GP, or CS, well any W-body for 1996, possibly 1995 would work too, could you please see if it mentions how close I have to get the clutch to the pulley.. I appretiate it very much in advance.

I went to the stealership today, and looked for the nicest mechanic I could find. I talked to him a bit, and he was pretty helpful. He said it should be anywhere from 0.016 to 0.020 inches away from the pulley. I don't have much time to tell you how it came off, but I'll tell you in more detail later on. Basically the front right wheel came off, then the little plastic splash guards or whatever they're called. Then I took off the belt, and rented tools from Canadian Tire. It was #35 from their list of rentable tools. One nut screws into the clutch, and then there is a bolt that goes into that nut, and as you tighten that bolt up, the nut is coming out, and to the nut is attached the clutch. Very easy actually, compared to trying to take it off without the tool. I tried witout the tool for like more than an hour, and no luck at all. Got the tool, and it was off in less than a minute. :roll: I gotta go get back to it, I got some feeler gages and I'm gonna go adjust it now, and see if that helps. I'll post here later.

I know you are, that's why I didn't even bother asking you... Well I got the clearance perfect, but the bitch still ain't turning on. Although there is zero grinding, and I'll leave it like this until spring/summer when it's nice and warm, and then I'll check everything I can, and if nothing a J/Y AC compressor for 120CDN with 4 months warranty will have to do. Thanks to everyone in the W-chat for helping, and anyone that was wishing me luck, lol. Now, I gotta go put the wheel back on, and clean up the garage. Good luck on your finals Jeff.