Driving Blind..

cmo1234

Well not really, just dont have any dash illumination when i turn my lights on. I've gotten used to it at night the last 10months ive had the car but want to fix it. I've tried the fuses, and wiring behind the light switch connected to the dimmer and all is ok (i did mess up the spring loaded on/off for the park lights so now only the head lights on half of the buttons works). Also looked at the illum wire going to the stereo but still connected. This did happen when REinstalling the stock radio after taking out old alpine (which BTW did not have illum connection so it was already disconnedted but the dash lights worked fine then).

So i want to try just connecting a separate current to it (like the always ON +12V wire coming to the cig lighter) into the gauge wiring harness. Will that work :?: Does anyone know which wire or pin to cut into at the connection to guages? I've tried jumping it to the connection in the fuse block but that didnt work.

Well i took the switch out to see if anything was disconnected, but everything looked ok, then kinda messed up the park light half of the button/spring and now it dosent stay locked in, only when headlights are on :roll: . I think the switch still works ok b/c the radio is still getting the signal to dim the display part but not to turn on the lights behind buttons and also for the gauge lights. I was hoping to run a separate source and put a toggle in line or something like from cigg power wire (hopefully not too many Amps coming through there to fry the lights, guess might need a fuse too.). Maybe eventually i can find a switch at a j/k and try.

don't make it more difficult than it has to be. The digital display gets a different dim input than the bulbs behind the buttons/dash. My headlight switch fubar'd the exact oposite as yours. Digital radio readout and digital cluster display didn't dim, but the backlighting did.

Yup.. it's all in the switch.

I took mine apart once (don't remember why though) and spent about an hour trying to get that spring loaded POS back together right.