adding a factory power sunroof and power seats

SUPERDUTYD

i found a factory sunroof, or moonroof, in the junkyard and i want to add it to my car. is this easy? i also want to get the headliner. is it possible to get the head liner out of the car in one piece? the car is a 1996 monte carlo. i also picked up some sweet power leather seats. i figured my monte would be pre-wired but no luck. i want to add it to the fuse block so it's like factory. anything i should watch out for? it looks like if i drop the glove box i will have access to the back of the fuse block. is this correct? -thanks-

No, adding a factory moonroof is not for the faint of heart. Factory moonroofs don't have a bezel around the opening, because the roof is stamped with the opening in it from the factory. The inside edge of the hole is folded over so that the glass (or actually the rubber molding around the glass) butts up right against it when closed. You would either have to cut the opening out of the donor car and weld it onto yours, or cut the spot welds and replace the entire roof panel.

In this way, aftermarket is much easier to install. They come with a bezel that will fit into a cut-hole in the roof.

wow, I'm glad I read this post...I always think about adding a power moonroof/sunroof to my Grand Prix (factory)...there always in the classifieds on car forums.

How much is a good power sliding sunroof going for nowadays(installed).

I think cheapy crank ones can be installed for $800. Power ones are obviously going to be more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to remember from topics posted long ago.

Headliner will come out easily in 1 piece. Just make sure you remove everything including the sun visors and the thing they clip onto. ;)

I installed power seats from 88 Grand Prix into my 95 GP, just power and a ground I didn't bother with a fuse. Although, I spliced the power wire into the one going to the battery (from my amp) so I guess there is that fuse in the front...

i wired the seats last night. the fuseblock is already wired with power but the output wire ends at a junction box nearby. i just connected the wire to that and now i have "factory" installed power seats.

Hmmm.. I will be going to the UPullIt yard to get a sunroof from a Caddy STS.. I was planning on just cutting an opening for it.. Well, having the bodyshop painting the car cut it in.. 8)

Turby's friend with the Regal installed a factory sunroof by welding in the entire roof panel from a TGP. That's the only way I'd ever install a sunroof in a car that doesn't have one. I'm not a fan of aftermarket units.

I think cheapy crank ones can be installed for $800. Power ones are obviously going to be more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to remember from topics posted long ago.

oh goodness no. I had one put in an old car I had back in HS... I think that was like 5 years ago, and I dropped somewhere around 350 into the cheapo one. Back then, the power unit was somewhere around 900, but I'm sure that price has came down a little bit.

Turby's friend with the Regal installed a factory sunroof by welding in the entire roof panel from a TGP. That's the only way I'd ever install a sunroof in a car that doesn't have one. I'm not a fan of aftermarket units.

Wow, I would have liked to have seen that! That's determination.

I wonder if he pulled all the glass and cut the factory spot welds?