Broken Subframe.

joey b

Well, it appears that the car I just bought has a broken subframe rather than a broken motor mount. Not that I really car either way. Can I weld this subframe back into place? Where the rear passenger mount attaches the cradle has come off. A welder should be able to hold that up, right?

Same thing happened to my friend's Regal. He got one with the rack and pinion on it from a j/y for $100... it's not to terribly hard to do but it's still pretty hard to do. Welding may be the way to go if you have the tools and such.

Hmm...with some of the problems Ive been hearing about,I would feel safer getting a complete Good Used frame cradle from the salvage yard then trying to fix the old one.I have no doubt a good welder can fix it but theres no guarantee the fatigue of the metal isnt still gonna be there someplace.

Maybe get a used cradle and have a welder reinforce stronger plates onto it in places for extra strength?

Btw is your cradle rusted a bit?Do you know what the main cause of the breakage may be?Those are important questions to ask before repairing old cradles.Just trying to offer some additional insights to the problem.

:)