Cheap, easy things to do to my car in winter

fastbird232

I'm bored.

I want to do things to the GTP to keep it in shape, but I don't have a heated garage, so they have to be things that I can either unbolt and do inside, or that don't take long outside. I'm not completely car stupid, I just can't think of anything to do to it.

Any ideas?

jk, just take out the IAC by unscrewing it from the TB (uses torx screws on my car) and clean it. I'd just clean the whole thing while i'm at it wtih some simple green

jk, just take out the IAC by unscrewing it from the TB (uses torx screws on my car) and clean it. I'd just clean the whole thing while i'm at it wtih some simple green

what he said

Guest Anonymous

Like jeremy said, wash it and keep it clean. I love having a spotless car in the winter, and when i see other cars that are washed and cleaned in the winter, it shows some effort.

I'm scared of the car wash. That's where I destroyed the fascia in the first place.

Actually, I've been meaning to ask: is it safe to run the car through the wash even if the fascia is off?

I don't see why not. Also for another idea, remove the two 8mm bolts and the timing belt inspection cover and make sure your timing belt looks good.

I'm scared of the car wash. That's where I destroyed the fascia in the first place.

Actually, I've been meaning to ask: is it safe to run the car through the wash even if the fascia is off?

NO it is not safe to wash your car without it's facia, it is as dangerous as having to walk across the room to turn on a light. You might slip and fall and hurt you ass and then were will you be????

Ever drive it in the rain? Thats worse than the wash! Get your facia fixed, but keep it clean.

Well, shit, there are a few more exposed wires now than before, I wasn't going to take a chance on fucking my car up any further if I wasn't sure it would be ok.

It should be fine, as long as the wires themself aren't exposed ( plastic gone exposing wire). It's no different than driving down the road when it's pouring, water finds it's way everywhere anyways.

You're right. I just gave it the super long, $8 Salt Blaster wash and it didn't explode. I guess it was obvious to everyone else that it'd be ok, but with all the things broken on it already (and the strain it puts on our cash flow), I couldn't afford to have something short out that far from home.

Next on the list: cleaning the IAC valve. What cleaner do I use?

I used brake cleaner on mine....don't fuck up the part that moves though like I did lol....took a bit for my car to start idling correctly again after that.

My shop towel was totally black caked with carbon from that fuckin' IAC though!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to cleaning the MAF and IAC. I could see a definate difference in cold start-up, idling, and throttle response. Before, the RPMs would bounce up and down intermittently, but after cleaning all the carbon off the IAC (especially on the plunger) it fires right up and the idle holds steady until it's hot, then drops just below 1k and holds steady again.

Very good way to spend ten minutes on your car. If you haven't done it in the past year, I'd reccomend it for a Sunday project.