Adding Fiber Optics to door key

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Since i have my doorhandles apart now, i'd like to complete a little project i've had in mind for quite some time: adding the fiber optic ring to the passenger door handle. I currently have the optic ring taken out from my spare drivers side door handle. The wiring looks the same as the drivers, 1 orange and one white. I looked in my FSM but it did not detail this item. IIRC the white is some sort of ground for the courtesy lights. I would like to connect this thing.

Does anyone know the best way to route the wires through the door? I'm guessing through that flexable tube by the hinge? But i would probably need to take the interior door panel off to do so. In fact, i could probably tap into the lights on the door for this... in any case, whats the best way to take the panel off?

Thanks!

When you pull on the door handle when the car is locked, do your interior lights come on?? If they don't, it would be pointless to wire it to the light in the door, however I believe they turn on in your car???

Guest Anonymous

yes, when you pull the door handle, the lights come on (white wire), and now with my security lighting pod, the headlights come on, too. I would like to add one to the trunk also, but i'm not sure how that works.

Guest Anonymous

yes it does, so the illuminated keyring is pointless, but its still something i want. However my clicker doesnt have the trunk release, so that one would be of the most use unless i pop it from inside.

Best thing to do would be to.... wait you have to keep this car if I tell you! I plan to do the same to my CS vert, btw.

ROSS, Due to the fact that my vert is broken and stored, answer these question for me to help you.

1 Does the ring on the drivers door light with the parking lights?

2 Does the ring dim as you adjust the dimmer for the interior back-lighting (red) with the parking/headlights on??

3 Does the ring light when someone pulls on the passenger door?

4 can you identify any light on the door that performs exactly the same as the ring light?

Guest Anonymous

1. The ring does not light with the parking lights

2. The ring does not dim

3. I'm not sure if the light on the drivers side turns on with the passenger door- i would assume it does becuase it also comes on with the courtesy lights

4. It acts the same way as the lights on the door, in the console, in the dome light, and the ones in the back seat.

Guest Anonymous

However, the passenger door does not activate the security lighting/headlights, only the courtesy lights... so if its wired in with them it should still work properly.

The ring is wired into the passive restraint module.

Its operation coincides with that "click" you hear a few seconds after pulling the door handle when the car is locked.

Both doors should already have the switches since it's required for the passive restraint module, and both keyrings would be wired to the same circuit and both will illuminate at the same time.

Guest Anonymous

Well this project got shot down. When i was replacing the drivers side handle this AM, the existing fiber optic rings broke (it was already snapped once), so i had to replace it with the spare one. I'm going to need another handle anyway, becuase this one is not the glossy black and it looks like crap... so when i get another i can add the ring.

However, the passenger door does not activate the security lighting/headlights, only the courtesy lights... so if its wired in with them it should still work properly.

sounds like you have an answer!

Personnaly, I would remove both door panels and see if the wiring can be traced in the opposite door to make it match.

And regarding your car, You should treat it as if it would be valuable someday, chances are it will.

And we know the car is old, but if it was a 57 chevy would you still beat the shit out of it???? Old doesn't mean bad, i means it needs TLC. Just cause the girl is over 18 doesn't mean you discard her for fresh jailbate. In fact, don't they get better with age? They know how to get down and get and give what they want. Same with cars.

And very few cars are actually worth operating or 'reliable' like a W is. Most other makes of this vintage were scrapped long ago. I choose a W becasue I knew that for the age and cost, they were built very well. plus I wanted a domestic, and a decent sized car.

• 2 months later...

OKAY...how about THIS then..>>>>my pass-side door handle broke, so I found a USED (but clean) one eBay.....It's the PASS-side, and the dude I bought it from claims it from a 1991-1993 GP. Well it HAS the FACTORY light-up ring around the key hole in it w/ the FACTORY wire attached and alll.....is THAT crazy or was the PASS-side LIGHTED key-ring an OPTION on GP's or LUMINAs or something? (seems like it MUST'VE been)

And when I do install this new handle with the light, will my car have a little wire & harness to plug the wire into? PLUG & PLAY?

FOr real? Yah....then I'm def NOT mistaken about the pass-side one I have now....

(I was thinking for a sec that MAYBE it was a driver's-side handle, I haven't 'LOOKED' at lately)

Do you guys know about the plug & play though?

That "wire" coming off of the door handle is actually a fiber optic cable that fits over a 194 light bulb. The bulb light transmits thought the cable, and lights up the ring, at least that is the case on my TSTE, I'm not sure if 2 door GPs do it differently. My TSTE also has light up rings on both front doors.

That "wire" coming off of the door handle is actually a fiber optic cable that fits over a 194 light bulb. The bulb light transmits thought the cable, and lights up the ring, at least that is the case on my TSTE, I'm not sure if 2 door GPs do it differently. My TSTE also has light up rings on both front doors.

Oh yeah? Yah, man that sounds different than on my 1992 (NON TGP, haha) GP.

It seems more like the key ring itself has a light behind it, not 'in' the wire, but I haven't looked yet.

Your TSTE does have totally different handles though.

Man I LUV those STE's though....the GADGETS on them cars for THEIR time, is UNreal.

[br]Posted on: April 19, 2006, 10:15:01 AM_________________________________________________

2drs have a green LED epoxied into the ring.

Duhh!! haha...SOrry, didn't see your post (on page 2) when I sent that last one.

That is CORRECT my friend. :mrgreen: