Crappy Door Handle Design...Anyone Ever Repair?

95oldsVan

You ripped the handle off a four door!!! :lol: (those aren't the Bpillar handles right?)

It can happen. they have weak spots too. I broke one. It was brittle and cold and it just snapped. nothing to do with the force i was applying. maybe the previous owner?

Good tip. The 4 door handle is same front to rear. I would get a replacemtn hanlde for the rear door of a 4 door, as it is nearly new!

My 92 lumina has three broken handles when i bought it, but the fram haveing broken, but they would still open but were near the end of travel.

Guest Anonymous

I always do the pop the door open with the handle and then grab the door thing with mine...

however the other day it was just cold enough, and the metal just brittle enough, that i applied one fraction of strength too much to snap the damn thing off. My drivers side was replaced before i had the car, so this is the third driver side door handle its had :oops:

i changed out my outside driver door handle on my 92 z34 a couple days ago, and now the door won't open at all, one mechanic told me that the lock rod is not coming up enough to disengage the lock. It really sucks having to climb over the center console every time I get in and out of my car. What do i do?

With the door opened,theres a nut or screw or so that hold the cover on inside the door.Remove this cover and youll see where it needs to be adjusted or see if the return spring is broke or etc.

You should be able to push the door open from inside...if it dont work,unlock the door with your key first and then go inside and push it open.

:)

I can't get the door open at all, i have tried it with the key, and unlocking it using the power lock button also manually from the inside. Nothing works.

Oh man...its gonna take some slim jimming somewhere...sounds like the rods are broken somewhere at the actuator/ or door linkage and wont allow anything at all to move the lock off the striker.

Last time I seen this,the guys at my shop had to pull the door panel off inside the car the best they could and release it from inside the door to open it.

Good Luck figuring this out.Body slamming wont do it eh?

:(

Take the door panel off, remove the seat if necessary. (seat held by reverse torx bolts, that can be turned with an 8mm cosket.)

this gives you full access to all the linkages and stuff.

Although... some cars have a lower panel that covers the seatbelt mechanism. If you removed it, it would also allow access directly to the mechanism.

thats gonna take some work, but i'm more than willing to do that than have to pay someone

You can pay someone to work on your car? what a concept! I thought you just paid them to pretend to do it as the car never is quite fixed when you get it back!

It is a little bit of work, but not all that hard. Hopefully you have the simple access panel that comes with having door belts. Move the drivers seat as far forward if you have the panel. good luck.